...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Waechtersbach Christmas Tablescape


The first Advent was this past Sunday, so it's time to start using the everyday Christmas dishes.  This set is by Waechtersbach and made in Germany.  We had originally purchased this set to be used at our cabin, I mean who could have a mountain retreat with no Christmas dishes - now really !!! ;-)


 But since we sold the cabin, they had to come home with me, and I'm glad. I exchange the dishes in the kitchen for these. A 15 minute swap and we are set for the whole month.


I love the simplicity of the dishes, they are bright and festive and durable!


I guess this must be a favorite.. rustic placemats call for a less formal flatware set - so out came the rosewood handled  brass flatware once again.


A salad/dessert plate....

on top of a dinner plate on top of the straw and gingham check placemat.



White linen napkins folded to resemble Christmas trees. Glasses that have a story to tell!!


A floral pick placed over the fork on the napkin


Square plates hold the white candles amongst the trees that line the center of the table


Notice that bowls have been added, and there is a water glass at the place setting - this is an evolving table - yeah that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.


The tassels came off the chair backs and the little wreaths made their appearance.




I love this spiral tree, it looks as if the snow gently drifted down and dusted the greenery and red berries.

This tree is painted metal.


Albeit it small, this tree is wrapped in charm.


Three trees out of one stump




Yes, these glasses do come with a story. In 1985 (were I older, I'd be saying "in 19 and 85"), my mom brought my godmother over from Germany for a visit. They spent Christmas with us, my godmother baked, my husband got fat, I learned a lot. This was at a time when Long John Silver's (yes the fast food restaurant) had a gift with purchase. One glass with each meal. So 6 people in the house = 6 glasses. And my aunt loved Long John Silver's. I thought the glasses were pretty cool. I think there were two glasses each year and then there were dessert plates...So in time, I had amassed quite a collection of this good crystal. Each time I use it, I am reminded of my sweet Godmother who I know has found Long John's in heaven!  Did you notice the gold rim?




  Guten Appetit!

Cast:
Placemats: Stein Mart last year
Dishes: Dillard's
Flatware: gift from Mom
Fine holiday crystal:  Long John Silver's 1985, 1986, 1987
White linen napkins:  Tuesday Morning
Assorted trees: assorted places
Floral picks:  Hobby Lobby years ago
Mini wreaths:  a now defunct Christmas store many moons ago



It's after Thanksgivings, so we must be having leftovers!
Tortilla Soup
With your turkey carcass, make a fresh turkey stock.  If not then use purchased chicken broth - about 6-8 cups or more depending on the consistency of your soup ingredients. 
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic, mashed
8 ounces green chile, chopped. Check your grocer's freezer, select the hot variety, already chopped.
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 oz stewed tomatoes, cut into smaller, bite sized pieces
1- 12 oz can sweet corn kernels 
2 1/2 cups shredded turkey/ chicken
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
8-10 corn tortillas
oil
shredded Monterey Jack/cheddar cheese mix


Prep: chop onions, garlic, grate cheeses, cut up stewed tomatoes. Slice corn tortillas into 1/2" strips and then cut the strips in half.

In a soup pot, saute onion, garlic and green chiles in oil until soft.
Add tomatoes, corn, turkey and broth. Mix in spices and simmer 1 hour. Adjust seasonings to your liking. 
Fry tortilla strips in hot oil until crisp and drain. Don't over-fry or they will get hard. 

In a bowl, add tortilla strips and cheese and then ladle the soup over the top.


Thank you so much for dropping in. I'm glad you came. Hope you try the soup, it's quite good on a cold evening. 

I'm linking up to Susan's Tablescape Thursday, be sure to drop by for some beautiful tables, lots of inspiration and the perfect way to while away some time!


15 comments:

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Marlis,

First let me say that I love the 'thought' posted on your sidebar. What a beautiful analogy.

I loved reading this post, and looking at it too, of course. It was so sweet to read about your Godmother. Those glasses have to be so sentimental. I'm craving Long John Silvers now! I haven't thought of that in a long time as I'm not a big fried fish eater but yum...it sounds good! ;-)

Your dishes are so pretty too...I love the entire tablescape from the placemats to the trees on the table. I think my favorite tree is the metal one. That's unique, and I like unique!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post!

Nancy

Kuby said...

I love your back round with the snowy trees. I so miss the snow and even winter too living in CA. I love your table so. What makes it so special is how much meaning each piece has to you! Your Christmas dishes are to die for! How wonderful to see that beautiful table ever day and enjoy the wonderful memories of your Godmother. Thanks also for the soup recipe!

Tricia said...

Marlis, I love your everyday Christmas china! I do the same thing with mine -- bring it out for the month of December. I don't have a table to show this week, but enjoyed yours! Loved the story about your "crystal" from Long John Silver!

Jenny H. said...

Your table and your decorating style are EXACTLY what I really enjoy! Love everything about it - it feels very grounded, very wintery yet very warm. Love all the little trees on the table, I wouldn't have thought of that. Love also the wreaths. Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

I'm lovin' your every day dishes and good glasses:@) Also, thrilled to see the "Guten Appetit"! I think I have to work that into the kitchen some how-thanks!

Entertaining Women said...

This is marvelous! I hope that you leave it set up through the holidays as a part of your Christmas decor. Everything just works perfectly! The Long John Silver goblets made me happy...sweet story. I'm going to go to HL and look for small wreaths for my chairs. Great idea! I exchange the Burleigh Blue Willow for the Spode Christmas tree, and the Spode becomes one of our everyday choices...great minds think alike! Thank you for sharing your warm and wonderful design and for stopping by my post. I still have a lot of decorating to do...real life keeps rearing its ugly head.

Debby S. said...

Ok, I love so much, I dont know where to start. I love the glasses and the story of your godmother. The wreaths on the back of the chairs are wonderful! I love the placemats and you put out my FAVE silverware again! LOVE IT!

Debby S. said...

Ok, I love so much, I dont know where to start. I love the glasses and the story of your godmother. The wreaths on the back of the chairs are wonderful! I love the placemats and you put out my FAVE silverware again! LOVE IT!

Beth said...

Marlis, I just love your centerpieces - the trees, the candles - it looks great. I really like your Long John Silver's glasses, and your pretty dishes too! This is a very, very pretty tablescape. Merry Christmas!
Beth

Scribbler said...

Your whole table is cute, colorful and lots of fun! I too love my W, although is plain red, because it plays well with others.

Alycia Nichols said...

Hey there, Marlis! Thanks for stopping by my place earlier this week! I've been up to my eyeballs 'round here, so I'm just getting around to everyone's post. Yours is so cool with the miniature wreaths affixed to the chair backs! What a wonderful look! Makes me want to go out and get new chairs! Beautiful idea to put the floral pick over the fork like that...looks really elegant! I hope you're enjoying the start of the holiday. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Unknown said...

marlis, I love the whole table.. but the idea of the wreaths on the back of the chair.. is the best.. How festive...

Marigene said...

Marlis, all that red is stunning! I can see why you chose that for your cabin...Waechtersbach is one of my favorite brands. Love the trees down the center of the table.

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Beautiful tablescape, Marlis!
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I LOVE this tablescape, Marlis! Everything is perfect and the tortilla soup sounds great!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin