...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bows, Buttons and Pins, Vignette Friday


Welcome to the niche in our bathroom. Our home was built in 1961, has good bones, a back yard of my dreams and built-ins everywhere! Two wall of our bathroom are nothing but built-ins. This niche is over a stack of drawers. Although there is no socket (and I haven't looked into figuring out how to make this happen), I've "stored" my antique french lamp with it's original lampshades here. A propped up picture, a vanity tray and some antique linens and lace round out the accessories.
There's also an ornate metal piece and a hanging tassel on one wall.

L'air du temps by Nina Rici, some Romance by Ralph Lauren, body powder in a silver topped crystal bottle.

A crystal  canister filled with some very special dried roses. Our youngest son surprised me with these this last Valentine's day. It's a long story, but he surmounted the impossible and keeps bringing us much joy.

A poche filled with rose scented potpourri. A metal heart hangs from one arm of the chandelier.





 These shades are original to the lap and do need replacing, BUT, I keep wondering all the places they've illuminated and I can't yet bear to replace them. Also haven't found some I want!

This silk dupioni pieced confection was created for Sewing Savvy magazine, issue 4. Magazine is one of those who is now defunct. It's one of my favorite pieces. Taupe embroidery, twin needle embroidery, lace and vintage buttons provide a back drop for pins and necklace pieces that can be appreciated here even when not worn. Click the link HERE to read a brief description on how to create one of your own.

A special gift from a special friend. Charlotte made the porcelain headed confection with serger threads, beautiful laces and ribbons and pearl beads.  She holds a rose (minus a few petals) that our youngest son picked and brought me when he was ten (he's now 29). 


A silver bow, a gift from my husband is pinned above my monogram. See the embroidered ribbon? It was actually embroidered with a twin needle, the off-white and taupe threads were stitched simultaneously!

A Russian cloisonne brooch, the lizard - a special gift from my mom, and a Limoges porcelain pendant.

A favorite Bernina pin. 

A Swarovski butterfly (received after the Bernina 630 came out), a cat pin and a vintage button pendant.

A night light (sans light) sits atop a silk ribbon topper. The nightlight is made in Japan and belonged to husband's grandmother. 

I am so delighted with this piece. I've had it 35 years and who knows how long she had it, but not one petal, leaf or tendril is broken. I hope it stays this way.

This is one of my favorite scriptures. I love reading it every morning as I prepare for yet another day.

A vintage piece of hardanger embroidery.

And one of my favorite pieces of vintage lace drapes over the frame and around the nightlight.



Roses
~George Eliot

You love the roses - so do I. I wish
The sky would rain down roses, as they rain
From off the shaken bush. Why will it not?
Then all the valley would be pink and white
And soft to tread on. They would fall as light
As feathers, smelling sweet: and it would be
Like sleeping and yet waking, all at once.



My thankful thought for the day: I'm thankful for all the thorns in my life. Were they not there, the rose at the end of the stalk wound not be near as sweet. 


I'm linking up to Artie's Vignette Friday. Be sure to drop in and see all the lovelies on display. Thanks Artie for hosting this fun party!



6 comments:

Kuby said...

Breathtakingly beautiful! Your house is a place of wonder and delight. God Bless

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a lovely vignette, Marlis! I love the board and you've got some great looking pins on display.

xinex said...

What a beautiful display, MArlis. SO lucky of you to have all those built ins. The lamp is gorgeous!...Christine

Sharing with Sherri said...

Charming vignette! My heart skipped a beat when I saw that wonderful lamp! Love all your crystal pretties too!

Sherri:)

Uptown Antiques said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It's so feminine and victorian.

Custom Comforts said...

What a beautiful post full of such delicate pretties. Each one I'm sure is a treasure with a story behind it. Just lovely!
Cindy

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin