...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgivings Tablescape

Welcome to Thanksgivings at our home. As we count our many blessings, come on in, prop up your feet and stay a while.

I'm extremely blessed to have these napkins from my mother. Before she passed away she made sure that I had them and the matching tablecloth in my possession so that there could be no questions. My grandmother handstitched the monograms on all 12 of the napkins AND the tablecloth. They were part of my mother's dowry and are still in pristine condition today.


I'm blessed with this set of silver. In Germany, it's a tradition for the Godmother to buy her Godchild a piece of silver for every event (birthdays, Christmas, Christening, Confirmation, etc). I would have chosen something much more ornate, but this is the same WMF pattern that my Godmother had. My grandmother was worried it wouldn't be complete, so she stepped in.

I am blessed with this stack! Each piece has a story and therefore as we sit and recount a years worth of blessings, I am reminded of many more blessings.

I am blessed with this charger and the for the memories it brings forth. It was purchased at Williams Sonoma in Chicago on the Million Dollar Mile while at a sales meeting for Bernina USA. Thank you Bernina! Faith, do you remember?

I am blessed with these classic white dishes. This was the second (first were for the kitchen) set of dishes I purchased after our house fire over 10 years ago. They were a wise choice.

I am blessed with a husband who understands my obsession with dishes. As long as there is food on the plates, he doesn't care!

I am blessed with the matching hammered napkin rings.

I am blessed with the best sisters-in-laws ever! I remember when I found these estate-sale-ing with Bunny.

I am blessed with good friends. I was a Thanksgivings baby and Dorothy and Freddie gifted me with this lovely silver bell many, many years ago. Like true friendships, this bell survived the fire.

And I am blessed with a mother-in-law that I would wish everyone could have. This was her mother-in-law's pitcher of which I am now the keeper.

I am blessed with a loving husband, wonderful sons, and two adorable granddaughters.

Without further ado; the table:












 






 









Cast:

Multi-fabric tablecloth - created myself - click HERE for instructions
Chargers & napkin rings - Williams Sonoma
Dinner plates - Wedgwood Windsor
Salad plates - Myott Thanksgiving
Water - Mikasa Parklane
Silver wine goblets - Spain
Silver - WMF
Salt and Pepper - Reed and Barton
Silver candlesticks - unknown
Pheasant candlesticks - Fitz & Floyd
Silver bell - Reed and Barton 
Copper tub - can't remember ;-)
Flowers - branch from our oak tree, feathers from the nephews,
mums from the grocery store
Copper candles - TJMaxx
Turkey platter - Spode



We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
He chastens and hastens his will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing,
Sing praises to his name: He forgets not his own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining his kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning;
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, All glory be thine!

We all do extol thee, thou leader triumphant,
And pray that thou still our defender wilt be.
Let thy congregation escape tribulation;
Thy name be ever praised! O Lord, make us free!
Amen
--Traditional Thanksgiving Hymn
(A translation by Theodore Baker: 1851-1934)

I'm linking to Susan's fantastic tablescape party at Between Naps on the Porch.. please join us, I'm sure you will be most welcome!



33 comments:

Kuby said...

So beautiful and truly blessed. I sang that hymn at the end of the post. I pray for a wonderful Thanksgiving Day for you and family, it will surely be a beautiful one

Miss Merry said...

What a wonderful collection of memories! I hope your family keeps a copy of this post to remember what is what and whose and was. Wonderful, wonderful. And what a special group of family and friends you have. Your table is stunning and I LOVE the copper boiler as a centerpiece. A Terrific Thanksgiving Table.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I am THRILLED BEYOND BELIEF to see your beautiful arrangement on your table! It is exquisite and you have made my day, my week, my month!! I wish you the most blessed Thanksgiving! You have given me back a treasured present! Thank you.

Lisa Fain, REALTOR said...

Now that is a Thanksgiving table - stunningly beautiful and filled with years of cherished memories. Thanks SofasandSage for sharing this link with me.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I'm starting to think you dress the table this beautifully for every meal you have, Marlis!

Even a little lunchtime snack!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, my lovely friend,

Sarahx

xinex said...

Beautiful table and a beautiful post, Marlis. You are blessed indeed! I am blessed for having a friend like you whom although I have not met in person, I feel so closed to. Happy Thanksgiving!..Christine

Denise said...

My, oh, my. You have so many beautiful items. And they all seem to be attached to such rich memories. Yes, you are very blessed.

God bless you and yours.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Marlis, I am so happy to see that you have your mother's precious and beautiful linens and that you treasure them so. All of your things are so pretty and are extra special because of the memories and meanings. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Linda

Jacqueline said...

Marlis, I felt like I entered the doors of some expensive antique store. What gorgeous treasures you have and how fun it was to hear you tell their history and the love and friendships that went along with each piece. Individually they are fantastic and put together, even more so. May you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day spent with loved ones.

The Charm of Home said...

Marlis,
What a beautiful table. The silver with your tablecloth is gorgeous! I happened on your sewing/crafting blog first tonight. I have never been there. You are so talented!!! What sewing machine do you prefer? I could use a new one someday. LOVE this tablecloth!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sherry

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady, Your Tablescapes are so beautiful for Thanksgiving Day with the lovely centerpiece you did a Great job. I hope you have a Great Thanksgiving Day with your family and friends,~~~

Joy Tilton said...

Beautiful tablescape! I've been lucky to inherit wonderful pieces too, they mean so much. Clothes...I pass them by but dishes are my weakness! Love your beautiful blog...

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a nice post, such a beautiful tablescape! I like your presentation with thankfulness, etc.

The napkins your mother made are so special, as is the turkey bell! Enjoyed seeing it all!!

Katherine

Miss Char said...

Maralis your Thanksgiving table is beautiful, just beautiful. I love that every piece has a memory and connection to your friends and family. Thank you so much for sharing and have a Happy Thanksgiving as your family enjoys your beautiful table tomorrow.

vignette design said...

Ok, now we're talking! This is a fabulous table! It is everything I love and could also see myself doing. Love everything about it, from the real flowers, (why do faux?) to the copper tub, to the beautiful dinner plates. You photographed is beautifully too. This table evokes the feeling of autumn in every way. Great job.

Marigene said...

Stunning is the only word I can come up with to describe your table...I love everything about it.
Happy Thanksgiving, Marlis!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for inviting me in. I've been blessed to get to know you through the blogosphere. Have a most wonderful day.

Rettabug said...

Marlis, you have some exquisite pieces that have become treasured heirlooms over the years. I adore those monogrammed linens!! The entire table is just full of warmth & fond memories for your family.

I loved seeing the quilt-like tablecloth & the varied heights of your candles with all the gleaming silver & copper...just spectacular!

Thanks for asking about my smocking. You've given me an idea to create a post with all of the items I've done in the past 4 years, since I learned how. I'm going to peek around your blog just as soon as I hit 'submit' on this post.

Happy Turkey Day to you & yours.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful collection! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Marlis...

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! Ohhh my...your Thanksgiving table is absolutely gorgeous!!! It has every detail that I love most about Autumn and Thanksgiving! I think it's one of my favorite Thanksgiving tables this year, my friend!!! First of all, I really enjoyed reading about all of your blessings and things that you are thankful for! We are such a blessed people...aren't we?

Ohhh my...where to start! Hehe! I absolutely adore your beautiful hand sewed table covering...it is soooo beautiful!!! It just sets a perfect foundation for your pretty table! How very sweet and sooo precious to have your Mother's monogrammed napkins! What a wonderful family heirloom and treasure!!! My favorite thing about your table is all the deep, rich autumn colors...and that beautiful copper!!! This may be the first time that I've seen a table where copper and silver were paired together and I really love the look and feel!!! Love your copper charger plates and napkin rings...and ohhh, that lovely copper piece that you have your floral arrangement in!!! Beautiful place settings, Marlis!!! And...I love all of your beautiful silver...you have some really fabulous pieces!!! Sooo...soooo pretty, my friend!!! Thank you so much for sharing your GORGEOUS table with us...it's one of my favorites!!!

Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving with your friends and family!!!

Chari @Happy To Design

Tricia said...

Wonderful table, Marlis! What a treasure your embroidered napkins are! I know you cherish the memories they bring every time you see them. Lovely post for Thanksgiving!

Maria Killam said...

Your table is wonderful and I adore your white dishes!
They looks so great with anything!
x
Maria

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Marlis! What a beautiful tablescape! You have so many wonderful little details...and such pretty silver! Love it! The store in my post is the Queen of Hearts in Alpharetta, Gerogia. And it is even better in person! I hope you are having a wonderful Thaksgiving!...hugs...Debbie

Chubby Chieque said...

Hi dear,

As I read your explaination on what you have on your table, I can see that, it isn't just all those material things that it counts.
I can feel that the best harvest you have are the people who loves you, dearly.

Very pretty things from very pretty hearts. Whatelse, we can ask for more, right?

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving Day & week-end ahead.
Greetings from a very chilly town of Stockholm,
/Chie

Unknown said...

Marlis...always a lovely visit to your blog! I love your gorgeous table and all the wonderful memories it's elements hold for you. I love that you are thankful for a husband who understands your dish thingie, lol. Amen to that!

Blessings!
Gail

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

A beautiful Thankfulness table filled with family treasures -- with sweet memories. Family and memories -- two of the best elements of Thanksgiving.

Entertaining Women said...

Isn't it absolutely the best to create a tablescape full of memories in every direction! We are birds of a feather is this respect. The tablecloth is magnificent...what size did you make the squares? I may have to try my hand...I'm a Pfaff girl, and I've always wanted a Bernina, too. My favorite, steal it if God looked favorably on stealing, is without a doubt the copper tub for the centerpiece. What a great piece. Thank you for sharing your beautiful design. Cherry Kay

Paige Thomas King said...

i really enjoyed reading about your "blessings;" a wonderful way to recount all that makes your table and life so special.
paige

Maureen Stevens said...

a feast for the eyes Marlis! All the autumn colors are just scrumptious in this table!

shannon i olson said...

What a beautiful table filled with treasures, I love silver and see many pieces of yours I don't have!! (and want) just lovely!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a beautifully set table. I adore all your dishes and the mix of textures. Your salt and pepper shakers stole my heart, I've been searching "forever" for some of them. I hope you and yours had a fantastic Thanksgiving.
hugs ~lynne~

Alycia Nichols said...

Hi, Marlis! I hope you had a really great Thanksgiving!!! I'm just getting around to looking at everyone's posts, and your table was beautiful!!! I audibly gasped when I saw those napkins!!! That was very wise of your mother to transfer those to your possession and see you enjoy them. My mother has done likewise on several items. You ARE truly blessed with so much, and I know what you mean about the husband! :-) (Oddly enough, mine has actually built up a bit of an enthusiasm for my collection!) Your table had not only the richness of treasured possessions, but the richness in the stories behind it all. I am so happy for you! Have a great Sunday, and I'll see you next week! -Alycia

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Marlis, I love the way you showed a close up of each individual, beautiful piece used on this table and related so many of them to memories of family and friends. Beautiful table filled with beautiful memories. laurie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin