...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

The Mother
by Robert W. Service
Your children grow from you apart,
Afar and still afar;
And yet it should rejoice your heart
To see how glad they are;
In school and sport, in work and play,
And last, in wedded bliss
How others claim with joy to-day
The lips you used to kiss.

Your children distant will become,
And wide the gulf will grow;
The lips of loving will be dumb,
The trust you used to know
Will in another's heart repose,
Another's voice will cheer . . .
And you will fondle baby clothes
And brush away a tear.

But though you are estranged almost,
And often lost to view,
How you will see a little ghost
Who ran to cling to you!
Yet maybe children's children will
Caress you with a smile . . .
Grandmother love will bless you still,--
Well, just a little while.

 Regan wants to know how you will spend your day... Do tell!

As for us, after Church, and a family lunch... I'll be culling through the reading material. It's growing exponentially!!!

Happy Mother's Day to you and yours!  Linking up to the Tablescaper's seasonal Sundays! It's her 100th party.. I hope I see you there!!

10 comments:

allisamazing said...

What a great poem! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

This is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Nancy

Mary said...

Your stack of reading material looks alot like mine! Wishing you Happy Mother's Day :)

Entertaining Women said...

Thanks for sharing the poem. We'll be celebrating Mothers' Day with dinner out this evening. I leave shortly for the last session of a five week photography course that I've been taking and enjoying at the Museum of Art. Have a marvelous time with all that reading material. Happy Mothers' Day

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Love the orange flowers jumping out of the pot. Such a beautiful image and so is the poem. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Marlis!

Debbie said...

I'm such a huge poetry lover, and I have read some of the best Mother's Day poems this evening. This one was wonderful.

My stack of reading material looks a bit like yours. Gulp.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Happy Mother's Day Marlis!
I've gone to some greenhouses over the weekend, and started picking up some of the annuals for this year! I've gone out for brunch and dinner and had a relaxing day today!
I really loved that poem!
Liz

Kathleen said...

That made me sad! Although I have grandchildren I love dearly, your children are still first in your heart.
Have fun with the reading!
Happy Seasonal Sunday!

The Tablescaper said...

What an amazing poem. So touching. Thanks so much for being a part of my 100th Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin