Do you twinkle or not?
White or colored lights?
Lots of lights or just a few?
Do you use the old school or the new LED lights? Why?
- Since the middle of the 17th century, people have been bringing a fir tree into their homes and lighting it with candles.
- The candles were affixed with candle wax on branches, or later with special clips.
- In 1882 an associate of Thomas Edison named Edward Johnson thought it would be a good idea ot have a little string of lights to use on Christmas trees.
- Johnson wired 80 bulbs together and drapes them on a tree.
- GE provided hand blown bulbs but no one knew how to string them together. So electricians were hired to wire them together.
- 1903 - American Eveready Company produced a set of lights with bulbs that screwed in and plugged into a wall outlet.
- Still some people used candles.
- President Grover Cleveland decided to decorate a White House Christmas tree with electric bulbs. People fell in love with them. They wanted the same look for their homes.
- The tragic New York fire in 1917 prompted Albert Sadacca, the son of Spanish immigrants the idea to sell lights. He only sold 100 sets of clear lights the first year.
- The next he painted the bulbs in colors and the market exploded. His company NOMA Electric was the world's largest Christmas lighting company until 1965.