Penne with Ham and Peas
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups peas (thawed)
2 cloves minced garlic
2/3 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 ounces sliced ham
3 cups penne pasta
salt and ground black pepper
freshly grated parmesan
1. Boil the penne pasta until al dente. Drain. You can cook the pasta while you are making the sauce.
2. Melt half the butter with teh olive oil in a medium saucepan until foaming. Add the thawed peas and the minced garlic to the pan. followed by the wine or stock.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cooke over medium heat, stirring frequently until most of the liquid has been reduced.
4. Add the heavy cream and turn up the heat. Allow the cream to boil, thickening and coating the peas. Remove from heat, adding the ham. Check your seasonings at this point.
5. Add remaining tablespoon of butter to the drained pasta in the pasta pot. Coat the pasta with the melted butter. Add the sauce and stir to coat well.
6. Serve garnished with freshly grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
A side salad, a slice of garlic bread and your meal is complete..
|Handmade bowls in soft colors are perfect for serving such simple fare.|
I'll be joining Designs by Gollum's Foodie Friday - drop in for some deliciousness!