...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Organizing for a Dinner Party

How I Organize a Dinner Party
 

I was invited to join a FB group about dishes and beautiful tables. Oh the eye-candy!!! And it's so addicting to see everyone's pretties.

This post is a result of a comment I made to a question on how early you set your table before an event. I will admit I always do it early. But by the time of the event, I've already had it planned out far in advance; table, menu, decorations and have a detailed plan of attack in place.

Since it's spring and Easter is coming up in April, I'll just start with the beginning planning Easter 2020.

For me it's easier to work with 1) pick a theme, 2) pick the table, 3)pick the menu. I would suggest you go with what works best for you.  But I do know that melding the table decor with the menu is always a good thing. For example, your dishes look best with a white tablecloth, but do you really want to serve BBQ on your good china? Your white tablecloth?

For this Easter, I wanted to use what I had and not buy new things, but still have a fresh table. We are planning a lunch so it will be less formal and without candles.

I started auditioning the china with the 'other stuff'. Chargers and napkin rings were auditioned first.
Pier 1 Cedar placemat, Pier 1 white charger, Pier1 plaid plate, WS bunny plate and napkin, Dillard's green napkin ring. No.

Bordallo Pinheiro Charger, Pier 1 plaid plate, WS bunny plate and napkin, Dillard's green napkin ring. No.


Pier 1 Cedar placemat, Pier 1 galvanized charger, Pier 1 plaid plate, WS bunny plate and napkin, galvanized napkin ring. Yes!

Added the Tissus Tosselli tablecloth. Decide it will work and proceed to set the table. 


Minimum flatware, one glass but I am able to see how the table will look even if there will be more guests.


The galvanized center piece is 'almost' a done deal. The faux florals will be replaced with mini tulips or narcissus the day before Easter. However, i have the 'grass', the faux eggs and the bow on the chicken feeder and know it will be a fitting centerpiece.


I take a picture of the table, plan out the menu and make a detailed list of what's on the table.
Do not forget to make a note of items you want to purchase before the event. 

Then the napkins, napkin rings, place cards, ribbon, some decor items all go into a small tub. Add the lists and pictures to the tub as well. Everything is together and easily accessible later for set up and you can add items as you go. I'll add invitations to this tub when i get those.

I add the tub to the stack in the office. If I need to purchase something, a sticky note goes on the outside of the tub. Always viewable and accessible. 


Back to when do you set your table? I usually set it about 3-4 days early. Minus flowers. Cover it with the cheap plastic drop cloths available at any home improvement store and proceed with the rest of the preparations. Since I still work, I have to parse out the planning and preparation so that nobody is exhausted before company arrives! So yes, Christmas 2020 was planned last year and I actually have Christmas 2021 in its tub as well!  Happy Entertaining!!


2 comments:

Pat said...

Marlis,
Oh, how I've missed these beautiful tablescapes of yours!
Glad to see your post in my blog feed this morning!
Great tips!
Perfect Spring Theme!
Love the blend of textiles and galvanized!
Always inspiring!
Pat

Maria C said...

Marlis! It’s so good to hear from you again! Not that I can talk at all. Oh, it’s good to see this post and it’s going to be a beautiful table!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin