...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ladies Luncheon Tablescape

Last Saturday, I had my bible study group over for fellowship and a luncheon. I've been reading Sandy Coughlin's blog, Reluctant Entertainer. I don't reluctantly entertain, but there is always room for improvement. Her motto, don't sweat the small stuff, it's about them not you! needs to be the gentle reminder in the back of your mind. Always. To the bewilderment of my family, I was calm during the preparations and didn't bite anyone's head off.... and I was ready 90 minutes before the luncheon, shower, hair done and make up on! 

I wanted to use crochet doilies between the glass plates and the chargers... but I had sent them to my sister in law to make dishes.. so I placed a white dinner plate on the charger under the glass plate. It just added a little more interest to the table. 


I used mismatched silver to keep the table from being too formal.

Napkin rings on self-dyed napkins. I had to have this perfect lime color years ago and so I dyed them with a cold water dye called Procion MX Fiber Reactive Cold Water dye. It's held up perfectly through many washings, totally recommend this product. Oh and the napkin rings.... can you say 98 cents each? Someone apparently got sticker happy when pricing these jewels! They weren't really on sale, but marked as such. 

Flowers from Mr. Sam... you know from Sam's. I took apart one bundle and filled three small containers for the tables. Each bouquet is small enough to see over.. we are really eating here!

I had 7 over, so I pulled up the smaller round table to the end. That way we could all sit together comfortably.



Do you remember my cherub planter? You might have seen him HERE. It's so perfect on a buffet, takes up so little space and adds a bit of fresh greenery to the table. Plants on sale at Lowe's in a plastic liner!



The perfect outdoors glass - Dollah crystal. 

Choices. Spoon or fork for dessert.



Cast:
Tablecloths - vintage - one from my dear friend Sarah*
Napkins - Dyed with Procion dye
Chargers and napkin rings - Pier One
White china - Wedgwood Windsor
Clear plates - World Market
Silver - estate sales
Glasses - Dollar Tree
Round Vase - Mikasa Cheers votive
Wooden crosses - made by moi
Wanted to share a new something for which to wish: June 21st is the first day of summer, and Mikasa has released Midnight Bloom—a dramatic and sophisticated pattern, great for a summertime tablescape! The unique design features graceful florals that adorn a sleek, flat rimmed bone china shape. Sophisticated and timeless design that is perfect for casual or formal entertaining. Midnight Bloom is dishwasher & microwave safe! The 5 piece place setting includes one each: 10-1/2 inch diameter dinner plate, 8-1/2 inch diameter salad plate, 12 ounce rim soup bowl, 10 ounce teacup & 4-1/4 inch diameter saucer.   You can check it out HERE.
I'm going to be linking up to both Susan's Tablescape Thursday (on Thursday) and the Tablescaper's Seasonal Sunday on Sunday. Drop in to see some really beautiful posts!

*I totally treasure the pink damask tablecloth on the rectangular table. My dear friend Sarah gave this me after we lost our home to a fire over a decade ago.  It's beautifully worn and best of all, it keeps a bit of dear friend with me. What special memories it evokes!


32 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Beautiful table, Marlis. I love everything about it, especially all the lovely accent pieces. Lucky ladies to be on your guest list! xo,

FABBY'S LIVING said...

These is gorgous! I love all your flower arrangements too, so lovely! Beautiful dishes, I love the chargers and the layers, love the glass, the transparency to the other plates. Great napkin rings and yeah, good price! Wish I was going to your house for Bible reading too! Lots of hugs. I'm at TTT. FABBY

Tricia said...

Marlis, what a beautiful setting for your lunch with friends! That last photo took my breath away! I know your friends enjoyed the gorgeous table -- and their relaxed hostess!

Anonymous said...

Your table setting is beautiful! I had to laugh when you said you didn't bite anyones head off while preparing. . . that is just the way I am!! Too funny!! Love the shade of those napkins, and your flowers are gorgeous!

Susan said...

Your table is gorgeous! I love pink, green and white together and the outdoor setting makes it even more beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Susan

Unknown said...

what beautiful tables!! The entire scene is so captivating!!

Miss Char said...

Marlis, your table is lovely and so fitting for a ladies luncheon. You got a steal on those napkin rings and I love the mix matched silver settings. Everything looks perfect.

Mary said...

Hi Marlis~ I'm sure your bible study group was thrilled to be invited to lunch and sit at your beautiful table! I love the mismatched silverware and your flowers are beautiful on your pink cloths with green napkins! Your last photo looks so cool & inviting!

Miss Merry said...

Such a pretty garden party!

Lynn said...

Such a pretty setting Marlis! I love the flowers and green color of the napkins, I'm sure everyone loved dining alfresco:@)

Lana Kim White Austin said...

Oh, Marlis--the entire table (or tables, plural!) is just to die for! And those napkin rings for that price! You did such an amazing job dying those napkins, too! And I am in love with those chargers!
And mismatched silver gives it such a playful AND elegant touch!!!!
Outstanding!!!!
If you are ever coming to Huntsville, please let me know and I'd love to host you for some tea/coffee/dessert! Seriously!!!!
We'll be back in October from our time in Italy!!! Huntsville is really a relatively small place and while we've only lived there for 4 years, I'm sure we know your friends or know folks who know them! Our church is huge and we always know people know know people at our church!!!!
Thanks so much for your kind comment and stopping by my blog!

Hugs/blessings,
Lana In Italy

Dianne said...

Marlis,

Another lovely table. I know your study group just raved over every detail as I did while looking at it. i love the pink and green color together. I once used that color combo in my daughter's bedroom. I love that the luncheon was outside and the green in the landscape was brought to the table. Just beautiful.
Dianne

Debbie said...

I would love to be a part of your Bible study fellowship, Marlis. They must have felt very loved and appreciated with this luncheon.

I love the way you made it beautiful yet comfortable and not too stuffy feeling. I can't believe you found those napkin rings for a dollar.

Sue said...

What a lovely table to welcome your friends ~ I'm always impressed by tables set for real people!! I'll bet you had a great time.

Sarah said...

Marlis, your tables are gorgeous. No doubt your friends in the Bible study felt very special at this luncheon. ~ Sarah

A Perfect Setting said...

Beautiful tables! My daughter just told me today that I get a bit grouchy (ok a lot grouchy) when I entertain. Your words are so true, what we do IS really about our guests. I'm so impressed that you were calm and ready ahead of time! Great job as usual!

Martha said...

A very pretty table -- I bet your Bible Study group had a great time and enjoyed it so much more around such a lovely table!

Marigene said...

Beautiful tables...I still drool when I see those wooden chargers used!

The Tablescaper said...

Marlis:

A beautiful table as always.

- The Tablescaper

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

So pretty Marlis! I always love the outdoor dining, great job!

Kuby said...

What a lovely setting! The atmosphere so lends itself to a loving bible study. Love the napkin rings and the colors!

Maria said...

I love that patio of yours! What a beautiful setting for your lovely tablescapes!

Debbie said...

I love those charger plates Marlis! They are just beautiful!
The whole setting is wonderful!
I'm sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
Debbie

JudyBug said...

Everything is just stunning! I really need to read that book as I am often a bit reluctant to entertain. Once I actually do, I enjoy it. The hit of your table for me is the napkin rings. They caught my attention immediately!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

A perfectly lovely tablescape! Love those chargers! The crosses are wonderful! Great job!

Katherine

Anonymous said...

This table is gorgeous Marlis. I love how the shade and sun play on the setting. Wonderful!

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Your tables are gorgeous. I LOVE the color combo of pink&green. It's SO FRESH!!! Your napkins made the table pop, LOVE THEM and the pink in the flowers picked up the little pink bead in those wonderful napkin rings. Everything is PERFECT, as always. Thank you for inviting us in!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs,
Donna

Savannah Granny said...

Marlis, This outdoor setting is sooooo beautiful. How much more appropriate is the neat green color than outside with all the other greens in nature. I do love those dollar glasses. In my last tablescape I had some blue Dollar Tree classes. It is some much more relaxing for the hostess. I need to read that book as well.
I know it was fun to have a group of like minded friends for such a fun luncheon. Thanks for your good wishes and blessing to you as well. Ginger :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my such a pretty table! I do love that pretty angel statue too!

I am sure your ladies enjoyed their time and felt pampered and special!

Kathy said...

Lovely tablescape! Love the white and clear dishes combined - the soft colors make it so feminine along with the flowers. Well done,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful setting for a ladies luncheon. Those wooden chargers are fabulous. What a great deal you got on those lovely napkin rings. Everything is so inviting!

Rettabug said...

Oh gosh...I almost missed this one! How welcoming & fresh everything looks, Marlis! LOVE the color of the napkins with those flowers & your little cherub is adorable, too.
I'm envious of your gorgeous outdoor spaces to entertain in. *sigh* (not the 107º temps, though)

Hugs,
Rett

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin