...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Steak au Poivre sous les arbres

Welcome to dinner! Glad you could drop by this evening.

I can't believe I set the table outside while it's been so hot! But I did and I'm guilt-free. The tree canopy shelters the back patio, letting dappled sunlight enter thus leaving the space livable and about 10 degrees cooler than the "official" temperature. We are truly blessed.



I started with this wonderful striped table cloth purchased at Pier One about 2 weeks ago. I love the texture of the raised stitches. The colors are wonderful for a somewhat more rustic meal.


I used a real English ivy to add a bit of life to the table. Isn't the dappled sunlight great?


I was even able to add my new William Bounds Pep Art pepper mill to the table.
I've wanted this pepper mill for a long time. And thanks to Tuesday Morning, it now lives at our home.


I tend to leave smaller plants in their generic planters so that I can use them as I want by changing the outer decorative planter so it fits into the desired location.


Add a bit of moss or other filler to the top of the pot to fill the area between generic pot and decorative planter.


The brassware belonged to my mother in law. I believe her sister sent it to her from overseas when her husband was stationed in the orient.


It has these beautiful figural motifs on each piece. Labeled Siam, they are from the country now known as Thailand. From what we could tell, these pieces were probably made between 1945-1949.


Oh how I love napkins. Two Saturday's ago, I actually 'cataloged' our napkins. Husband was a bit dumbfounded to walk out of the shower and see the king sized bed full of neat little piles of nothing but napkins! I collect them here and there. The side benefit to all this organization is that they are now put up quite neatly in cabinets, only fingertips away from a table!

These napkins started out as hemstitched pieces of cotton. I decided that they needed a bit more texture. I chose to whip stitch the hemstitched area with some twisted floss.


The hurricane candle holder has a story to tell. We lost the original insert that belongs between the base and the lid at some point in our last move. The move gremlins must have snatched it up and made it their own! So in need of something that would work, I grabbed a vase and it fits perfectly.



Back out came the favorite hand-blown French glasses.


Do you love kosher or sea salt? Finding it hard to put it in a salt shaker with an opening large enough? Rescue a little jar destined for the trash.


My mother in law was going to throw this out. But that was not meant to be. I took this beauty and knew it would be perfect to house salt. The wooden spoon came with it!


At some point, I believe it held mustard. French of course!



The wooden plates are also part of the wonderful things I have from my mother in law. Triangular in shape, they hold a metal plate in the lower portion and have an indention at the top for a salad.

The metal plate is placed in the oven before dinner to warm up. Perfect for steaks or anytime you want to make a special special presentation and have the food do an extra sizzle when placed on the hot plates!


Not quite sure what the story is on why there are two different metal plates and they are not interchangeable. Each teak underplate is made for a specific metal plate. I do use a wood preservative meant for cutting boards (so food safe) to maintain the beauty of the wooden plates.


Love the look of the Mexican star in the background. Too bad it gets dark so late that unless we want to eat at 10pm in the summer, it's hard to get the total affect of the candles and lights.



Mmmm, dinner is served.. baked potato with butter, chives and sour cream. Steak au poivre medium rare. Baby portabella mushrooms deglazed with red wine.


And a green salad with French vinaigrette. There has to be something healthy on the plate?


Thanks for dropping by, I hope you had a nice visit. Do come again, I love company.


Luckily dinner was served soon as Regan was very interested in the table cloth!

Thanks for dropping by, I love your comments. I am linking this to Susan's Tablescape Thursday. Be sure to click the link below to see some more fabulous tables and dining decor.




28 comments:

Lynn said...

Beautiful table, and dinner looked great! The pic of the kitty is too cute!

Sarah said...

A beautiful table. Love the texture and colors of your cloth and napkins. Clever idea to add a bit of stitching to the napkins. I haven't seen sizzle platters in ages. I love the look on the table, and a steak and baked potato is one of our favorite meals. Thanks for sharing this charmer! ~ Sarah

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Marlis, YOur dinner looks fabulous! Can I invite myself? So yummy!
And arn't you so sweet to set the table out in the blistering heat!
What a great idea to do with the napkins. I'll have to do that too. I love how you whipstitched the pretty thread through the hem. So cleaver and it adds a lovely touch.

All of your elements are so distinctive! The steak plates, centerpiece, pepper mill and tablecloth. So handsome together!

What a nice visit!
Yvonne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely table! You know, your pepper mill looks like a piece of sculpture. If you hadn't said it was a pepper mill, I would have thought it was art. The figural flatware caught my eye. I like what you did with your napkins, too!

And the meal... YUM!

Happy Tablescape Thursday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Barbara said...

I love that tablecloth. My parents had steak plates like that. I wonder what happened to them! I am crazy about napkins too. I always seem to want more. The colors and textures are so pretty on this table. I set mine out in the heat too. The rain came before we could enjoy it but it is all set up inside instead for tonight's dinner.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

How pretty! Love the texture of that pretty tablecloth. What an adorable dinner guest at your table too.

Marigene said...

Beautiful table, Marlis. I like how you added a little something extra to the napkin, they go so nicely with that gorgeous tablecloth. That mustard jar is adorable, great idea using it as a master salt dip. Great vintage dishware.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Marlis
you are the No. 1! Not only in linkin to that TT but also in setting the table. It is so great! What an adorable pepper mill. I love this pretty tablecloth with this outstanding teak chargers and metal plates. That look for me like a great danish design from the 70th. And good design are always timeless. It is so pretty with this colorful tablecloth. Yes, you made the napkins so clever with the whip stiched adding. And I love this stunning brass flatware from Siam. How lovely that you saved this little mustard pot. It is a beauty, too. When I saw your little white kitty my heart stopped beating. So cute! Give it a caress from me (and a small bit of the yummy steak).
Greetings, Johanna

Entertaining Women said...

Your tablecloth was a perfect inspiration for your charming summer table. The steak plates with the teak platters are treasures, and I love the Siamese flatware. Great save with the vase in the hurricane lamp. That is inspiring! You've done a great design for a hot summer eve. Thank you. Cherry Kay

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Marlis, Your tablecloth is something I really need :) And the steak looks so yummy! And those plates on the teak platters are so interesting--I have never seen any like that! I think I would enjoy this meal even in the sweltering heat! Linda

Deanna said...

Neat Tablescapes that you've created and I really like your style.

The food is very inviting! Looks fantastic!!!

God bless and may you have a sweet week,
d from homehaven

Sue said...

What a beautiful table - especially loved your tablecloth. But I think the best part is your sweet little kitten. How adorable!

Congratulations on being the 1st on the 100th!!

xinex said...

Your rustic table is beautiful, Marlis. You know I have a complete setting for 24 of those Siam flatware. I really like them. Your steak looks scrumptious.....Christine

Jacqueline said...

I'm thinking Regan might be wanting to get to the delish steak too! The table was beautiful, but the food looked fantastic. I am glad to see that fabulous pepper grinder, it really is a gorgeous piece. The knives are so fantastic, what a conversation piece they would be. Thanks for sharing this wonderful evening.

Tricia said...

I'm impressed you set an outdoor table in Lubbock this time of year! You ARE blessed to have that wonderful tree! Those steak plates are great, especially on that striking tablecloth. What a good idea, adding texture and color to the napkins that way!

a quiet life said...

i was going to say i love your knives and dinner looked great, but then regan stole the show...

vignette design said...

Great table, great dinner, darling kitty!

Maude Lynn said...

Everything looks fabulous!

Sue said...

I love this look, particularly for outside. I've seen those pepper mills and drool every time, you are very lucky to have one of your own! The colors, the food and the decorations are beautiful for a summer evening.

Sue

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your table is just gorgeous. I love the wonderful colors. The wood plates with the metal liners are fabulous, such a treasure. Love that pepper mill too. Great idea with the plants and changing pots. I don't get too many to grow too long, but this is such a fabulous idea. It's been wonderful finding your blog and thank you so much for you gracious comments on mine. I'll look forward to your future posts. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

Gorgeous setting! Love your tablecloth and those fantastic plates!

Hugs
Charo

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Marlis, your table is wonderful! I love the beautiful Siam cutlery...what a treasure! You've used such unique and lovely pieces in this table setting...so much fun seeing them all! You were so smart to find a vase to replace the one the gremlins made off with...it's perfect! Regan is precious! Great tablescape! :-)
Thanks for a fabulous 100th TT!

Mary said...

Your dinner looks delish~ I've admired those peppermills too! Love your kitty :-)

Unknown said...

What a lovely location for outdoor dining. The tablecloth is great for the colors will blend with many different settings. The steak and potato is so appetizing, but I can't quite reach it. Love your new hurricane lamp, and great way to improvise.

Joanne Kennedy said...

What a perfect tablescape for summer. I love it all. Looks like Regan does too :) How cute.

Hugs,
Joanne

The Tablescaper said...

Great table. I love all of the textures and think that it's great that Regan in interested too. My fluffy ones often investigate my tablescapes.

But I'd really love to see the cabinet in which you stored your newly organized napkins! I'm always looking for inspiration.

I host a weekly meme called "Summer Sundays". It's all about what summer means to YOU! It's neat to see everyone's different take on summer. Hope you'll come and join the fun!

- The Tablescaper

The Charm of Home said...

Your table is so pretty out on your patio. Love it. Steak looks delicious too. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

Rettabug said...

Marlis, the entire dinner looks fabulous! You steak & potatoes did it for me... So yummy!

What a great idea to do with the napkins. Very creative & lovely touch.

Everything you have is very unique, especially the steak plates, pepper mill and tablecloth. They all work together beautifully!

What a fun visit!
fondly,
Rett

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin