...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Red, white and black all over - it's time to set the table!

Welcome to my home. I'm glad you came. The Mrs. set the table just for you. She said I was her inspiration. If you'll notice, I'm red, white and black all over! So sit a spell and make yourself at home. Oh, and the Mrs wants you to know that I came to her through a special friend in Florida named Brandy who sent me to live with her. She's so grateful for Brandy's friendship that she treats me extra special!



The Mrs. chose to polish some silver because she knew you'd be showing up. Isn't it cool the way the table reflects in the Mrs.' mom in law's silver pitcher. It's perfect for serving an iced beverage.


The Mrs. just loves these fancy carnations. I will say they make the table smell extra special. The Mrs picked these vases up at the Mr.'s last class reunion. Four bottles tied together with waxed thread and adorned with a silver feathered friend. Who could resist this?



They just really look pretty up close. Ooh I wish you could smell how wonderful they are!


 The Mrs. brought out the silver mini-me napkin rings to hold the gathered red napkins together. She's had both so long she doesn't remember from where they came. I'd say she got the napkin rings at Stein Mart several years ago, but she didn't ask me.

One thing the Mrs. didn't have to polish was her everyday Gorham stainless. It's got just the perfect shine to fit right in.

 Here's a close-up of the silver pitcher. Don't you love the band around the top?

 The Mrs. did just pick these red goblets at Stein Mart pretty recently. She didn't want to add one more set of glasses to the mix, but I convinced her that they would be perfect for today, for Valentine's, Christmas and so many more occasions. Help me think of more!

  See how it all came together? Black and white plaid placemats, red napkins, and those wonderful fowl plates. They have no mark, but I remember clearly when she placed a call to this great store here in Lubbock named Hulla B'lu back when it was still downtown. And then she sent her son to pick them up!! And he went. And they all came home in one piece. A setting for 8 and her son and her car. Sadly, there is no maker's mark on the bottom of the dishes.

 She even dressed me up a bit today. Added a kerchief from a cocktail napkin tied loosely around my neck. Do you think it makes me look distinguished? The Mrs. said it's because I'm so white, I need a bit of color.

Since the Mrs. cataloged the napkins she can find them so easily! Now they are all in one place. She says the placemats are next. Oy vey!

  She brought out her silver gravy boat. I think she plans on putting salad dressing in there. I think she'd better put an underplate underneath! What do you think?

 The Mrs. just loves these Riedel wine glasses. She says they remind her of the bistros in Paris. I think they are just easier to handle than a spindly ol' wine glass.

  Well, if it were the Mrs.'  back side in this photo, I don't think you'd be seeing it! Oh well, it's just me, so what does she care.  Here's a tip from me. She was flustered that this set of dishes didn't have bread plates. So I told her to just take the saucers for the cups and use those. The indentation is so minor that you have to look twice to notice!



The Mrs. was pretty lucky to get this Paula Deen bread board at Big Lots a few weeks ago. She uses a wood preservative on it to keep it looking it's best. And yes, it's food safe!

 See, with a few slices of bread, a spreader and some butter, who can tell?

 The candles are lit, and the evening is near. The guests are about to arrive, so it's about time for me to shut up and let the party begin.

 Did you notice the Mrs. has me sitting on a red tray? Does she think I'll make a mess? I think it's just so there is a bit more red on the table.

 I remember the day well when she found these hurricanes at an estate sale. These are etched glass and not nary a flaw! They just make regular candle holders so special.

It's beginning to look quite festive now.. I'd better be quiet now lest the guests come in to a narrating chicken.



One last view of the place setting.


Here's a close up of the plate. Aren't my relatives just divine??


Well, I'm right glad you stopped in. I'll tell the Mrs. you came by. She loves to read your comments. And I know she's going to be linking with the lovely Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for the Thursday tablescape celebration.Be sure to click the image below and go see all the beautiful tables to inspire you.





37 comments:

Designs on 47th Street said...

What an extremely delightful and LOVELY post! Goodness, I enjoyed this. I soaked in all your beautiful dishes and glasses AND silver. yum! It's all done so well and your Rooster did the best job telling the story! LOL! Oh, those red goblets could also be used for the 4th of July. I sure miss our Stein Mart that closed last year. Thanks for showing us your breath taking tablescape.

Donna

Melissa Miller said...

WOW! This is truly divine and gorgeous looking all around. I adore black, white and red color combos. Stunnning job!

Love your pretty blog too! :)

Lynn said...

Beautiful and fun-love it all! Great colors, and I'm sure your company had a wonderful time-enjoy!

Fatima said...

It's amazing! The placemats is beautiful with the roosters.Hugs,Fatima-Scrapart.

Celly B said...

What a lovely table setting! I love the toile plates with the checked placemats! The color scheme is so sophisticated, but the table still feels homey, too! Those rooster napkin rings are so cute!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Just beautiful! I love black and white with red! Neat details, and cute story with the hen talking! Those red goblets are wonderful, you can also use them on patriotic days.

I am also featuring a hen in my tablescape!

Katherine

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a smart chick you are! Now you tell the Mrs. she did a splendid job (with all your help of course). Love that this looks elegant and homey all on the same table.

Jacqueline said...

What a delightful table. I loved the linens, the plates, the chickens, the glasses, the napkin rings. This is so beautiful. I especially loved your capture of the table in the reflection on the glass. Thanks for creating such an inviting table, and your host was really something!

a quiet life said...

love your table, its all darling!

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Marlis,
that is really sophisticated. Mr. Rooster, you Mrs. did a fine job. Not only to pick you, because you make such well considered commentaries but also in choosing the ingredients of this table. The colors are very festive and all the details are perfect. And you looks very festive, too, with you pretty red scarf. I love this pretty china and the red goblets, also. I hope you didn't cook chicken! Thank you so much for sharing this nice table and the sweet story.
Greetings, Johanna

Sarah said...

Well, the Mrs. set a stunning table. I'm a fan of black and white with a little red to add some spice. This table has it all! Of course the shining star is that gentleman in the black scarf. Cute post! ~ Sarah

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

You've brought a great big smile to my face tonight...a beautiful table and great little narrative!!!

Marigene said...

Love your red, white and black table. I think the napkin holders are adorable. I have one plate with that pattern, have never been lucky enough to find any others...very nice pattern.

The Tablescaper said...

Love the red and black! But I think the rooster napkin rings are my favorite!

- The Tablescaper

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Well, narrating chicken, your table is divine! I love the plates and the napkin rings, and your kerchief is quite chic! Tell your Mrs. that I have Gorham Old French in sterling flatware and I love it. I didn't know it came in stainless too! Bye! Linda

Dreamgoddess said...

What a fabulous setting and fun read! I love the combination of red, black and white and you've mixed them perfectly.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Marlis, that is one cute, CUTE table, and I'm wild over that chicken with the bandana and the ones on the napkin rings, too! And let's not forget the entire black, white, and red motif. Great tablescape. You socked this one out of the ball park!

XO,

Sheila :-)

xinex said...

Your table is so delghtful, Marlis, so very well put together. I just love it!...Christine

Entertaining Women said...

Marlis, my sister lives in Ransom Canyon. I think Lubbock is such a neat city. Your table is darling, and you've achieved a great balance of color, pattern, and texture. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Donna said...

Great, fun post. I love the red, black and white table. Great combination. Napkin rings are so pretty.

Barbara said...

I just love that color combination. The buffalo checked placemats really set everything off so nicely. That silver pitcher is just gorgeous!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I LOVE this tablescape! Those plates are fabulous! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Beautiful table. I'm crazy about those dishes.

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

A gorgeous table setting! You have some beautiful pieces and the little scarf on the rooster is adorable!

Donna

Needles Everywhere said...

Lovely, lovely table. I recently did a red, white and black myself. It was fun. Those red glasses are gorgeous. Don't forget about all the patriotic days for them! And hey, red is good anytime for a nice pick-me-up.

The Charm of Home said...

What a awesome table. I love your plates, napkin rings, the colors, the bread board, the centerpiece, and the stemless wine glasses. Geez, I like everything! So pretty. Are you going to join Bella Vista next week for her rooster party? This would be perfect. Wow, that salad below this comment box looks good too. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

All The Pretty Dishes said...

I think your tablescape looks wonderful and I really enjoyed reading your blog.

Mary said...

Love this color combination & the commentary :-)

Lulu said...

Good morning, Marlis. My, but you are on a roll with this post, both the tablescape and the dialog that accompanies. I love it all. It dawns on me that a number of tablescapes with roosters/hens are in my future as my mother has quite a collection that will look just great as centerpieces. Guess I better start collecting accessories to go with them! Have a great day.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Very pretty and interesting table! Tres chic! Jacqueline

Diann @ the Thrifty Groove said...

Love this table! the colors of white, black and red are such a wonderful combination! Every detail looks just perfect!

Maryrose said...

Hi,
What a darling post. Love your rooster inspired table...you can never go wrong with those colors. So welcoming and warm. Your pictures were quite good too...loved the reflection pic, so creative.
Enjoy your weekend.
Maryrose

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Fantastic table! Where did you find those great placemats? Black and white with a touch of red... so classic. I love it!

shannon i olson said...

everything looks great, love your dishes!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I really "heart" those dishes! I have one very small platter (which hangs on the wall) in that pattern. I've never seen the set of dishes. Your table is delightful in black, white and red, and your photographs are so pretty. Love the creative photo with the reflection in the silver pitcher. laurie

MJ said...

Hi Marlis, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. I wanted to come over and visit and Im so glad I did...Ive been busy sewing pillows all day and havent finished looking at all the tablescapes. I love this, I love roosters so thats probably why. lol Omgoodnes...its lovely, the colors are vibrant. You did a wonderful job. Hope to see you at the rooster party on Aug 6th..I have the button on my sidebar. - Melanie

emptynester3 said...

Hi Marlis! Thanks so much for the visit and nice words- I wanted to visit and say hi! Your table is darling! I also looked at your Profile and we have a lot in common! I also embroidered on my jeans back in the day! Love, ~Nana~

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin