...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Sunday, October 31, 2010

This is fall

  
Mums. I don't know why I didn't like them when I was younger. Now, well, I LOVE them. Especially in the rust coloration.
Glimpses of rust amidst the still green oak leaves.
Don't pansies just make you smile? I have always loved them. Their happy faces certainly herald fall with their bright smiles.
And then there are the leaves. Everywhere. Deciduous trees. Perfect for summer shade. Beautiful leaves to keep the rain and hail off the patio. Dreadful in the fall. 

See our visitor? Guess what he's munching on? Aah come on.. I know you can do it!
When they aren't chasing each other around the trees... oh cats, were are  you now?
They are stealing pecans. And being the smart rodents that they are, they empty the trees with the easy to shell pecans first. Leaving me the ones that take a sledge hammer to shell!!! Anyone want some pecans?? Better get here soon.

So from my metal scarecrow and all of us here on our patch of West Texas, we wish you warm days, cool  nights, a few pecans for yourself and moments of sheer happy!

Oh scored the big one at an estate sale today: 2 wonderful tablecloths, 8 Rosenthal dishes, crystal wine glasses and a silver tray! And husband was there and said, well if you think you need it.. so that was the sound of the vault opening!!


And I'm linking to the Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays.. drop in a enjoy some fabulous posts all to do with the season!

11 comments:

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

What cute squirrel photos! I love the scarecrow on the basket too!

Happy Halloween!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Beautiful fall photos! Cute little metal scarecrow!

I love pansies too!

Katherine

xinex said...

I love the beautiful colors of your mums and I love pansies too. I just bought 4 hanging planters with pansies to hang around our back porch....Christine

The Tablescaper said...

Beautiful fall photos. Those squirels drive my dogs CRAZY!

So happy to have you with us again for Seasonal Sundays!

- The Tablescaper

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Marlis, your metal scarecrow is sooo cute! You captured great pictures of the squirrel stealing your good pecans. I could not ever capture them when they were eating my tomatoes, but they sure knew just when to eat them as I waited for them to ripen on the vine! Thanks for wishing us warm days and cool nights. That's just the way I like it! laurie

aspiritofsimplicity said...

The squirrels have been going nutty here this year. We don't have pecans but acorns!

Kathleen said...

I have never seen so many squirrels as I have this year! They are all over the place. My elderly neighbor says it is a sign of a bad winter coming! I hope not, last year was pretty bad here in NY!

I love pecans. BJ at Sweet Nothings who is also from TX, says she brings hers to a mill where they shell them for you. If you have a lot it would be worth it. The price of nuts here, well is NUTS. Everything is going up so high! Bacon has doubled and dairy products! Very hard on those on a fixed income.
Loved a peek into your neck of the woods!

Diann said...

Wonderful Autumn photos! They all looks great!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, those squirrels are so cute. I know they are naughty, but they provide endless hours of entertainment for me when I'm home because I blog in front of the window where I can see them.

And I am with you on the thing about mums. Used to hate them, but I think they really are great for fall. And pansies are high on my love list. That white one is stunning. They have such happy little faces.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Magdalena said...

Oh those silly squirrels they sure are busy. Love the scarecrow!
xx

Unknown said...

I love mums too and really love the smell of them!!! Makes me nostalgic for some reason!!
I have those little thieves around here too. we have been blessed with an abundance of pecans on our property in the past, but not this year. We have squirrels in abundance now and all I have managed to gather is one small egg basket of pecans!!
Our cats have been practicing rodent control!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin