...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Old things, new life

Welcome to the old kitchen cabinet in our kitchen. It's primary job - to keep certain sets of dishes close at hand. Roses, bucolic settings, chickens and bright Mexican colors all find their rightful spot in this treasure. 

Stacked together are my favorite Julia Child cookbook, my mom's cookbook covered in oilcloth, the cookbook my mother used in school and topped off with my grandmother's cookbook, still written in old German font. The wooden rolling pin is my mother in law's, the topper is one my mother made.

This is my husband's paternal grandmother's grinder. He tells of having ground up steak salad. The two discs are extra grinding disks.

A precious gift from my friend Brandy. I love the flameless Lampe Bergere. I get my fluid in Ruidoso, New Mexico where it is special blended to resemble the cool rains in the mountains. 


A candle holder from Holland brought across the big pond by our youngest son when he was only 11. He had gone to visit his best friend. It was the experience of a life time!

Antique cabinet with slate insets purchased at a local auction. One can hide house a multitude of dishes in this piece!

Thanks for dropping in today. I'm delighted you came. Please leave a comment to let me know you've been here.

I am linking up with Artie's Vignette Fridays.. do stop by there for some great inspiration!
And to Romantic Homes' Show and Tell Friday!! Awesome place to spend some time browsing!!


6 comments:

Anita Diaz said...

That is just a gorgeous piece of furniture, and all your lovely things look right at home! Your table(s) below...oh my goodness, they are fabulous! Love those plates! My family would love that! Beautiful!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a pretty cabinet and vignette. Love that lamp with the rooster on it. I have one of those meat grinders, and I remember it being used in my home when I was a child. I have featured a photo from your blog on my Favorite Things post for this weekend. I hope that is okay. If not, please let me know, and I will remove it. Thank you for the inspiration. laurie

xinex said...

I love seeing all your vintage stuff, Marlis. The vignette you created is really pretty...Christine

Anonymous said...

This cabinet inspires warm happy thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing your home and your heart.

niartist said...

Hey Marlis, Thanks for linking up with Color Outside the Lines and Vignette Fridays! I absolutely love your vignettes! My mother used to use her mother's grinder that looked just like that. Thanks for helping me to recount those memories ... as interesting as they are! LOL! :) Very best to you, and please - stop back over at Color Outside the Lines, and say hello anytime! :) Artie

Tricia said...

Such a pretty vignette! We have an old grinder like yours, and I've wanted to display it but couldn't think how. Your way looks great!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin