...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Today, I am thankful for... tablescape

Welcome to the weekly tablescape. I am sure you've seen every piece on this table before! There is nothing wrong with recycling, especially as the end of the year draws near and our lives seem to take on a flurry of activity. Tried and True is my motto when the going gets tough.

I am really thankful for our Sunday evening dinners. A time to connect the family. A time to recharge before the busyness of the week is upon us.

I did elevate the Princess (pumpkin that is) off the table with a low pedestal serving platter. It's been on the table since early October and I don't want to risk an unfortunate accident. Have you had a pumpkin kind of turn to mush before? It's not pretty, so I read last week. Thankful for the reminder!

See all the empty serving pieces? This is my way of making sure all the dishes actually get to the table. I have been known to forget something in the fridge or on a counter. If I have a dish in the refrigerator, I put the serving spoon on the table. Works like a charm!

Notice how the green in the madras plaid napkins is picked up by the dinner plate. Without the green in the napkin, these plates would seem out of place on the table. It's always a good idea to repeat elements, whether it be a texture or color.

The brass on the napkin ring works well with the rose-handled brass flatware. Another repeating element.


I did add some of the hugest acorns to the top of Cinderella. I found them in the World Market parking lot after they had fallen from the tree. Just gorgeous specimens.

Today, I'm thankful for Sunday dinners bringing family together. 

Cast:
Teak chargers - very vintage...
Dinner plates - Bordallo Pinhero
Salad Bowls - Ironwood
Flatware - gift from Mom
Gold wine goblets - Stein Mart
Water glasses - Handblown in France, found in Santa Fe, NM
Napkins - Autumn Madras, William Sonoma
Napkin rings - Stein Mart  

Partying at:
Cuisine Kathleen's Let's Dish
Stone Gables - Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits
Susan's Tablescape Thursday.
See you there!

20 comments:

On Crooked Creek said...

Marlis,
Love, love, love the madris plaid with your green dishes! Oddly, I just added my Majolica green & brown rimmed cabbage leaf salad plates to our dining table yeserday, too, dear friend! I love the green addition this time of year. Making one last hurrah before the Christmas decor begins On Crooked Creek. Your centerpiece is gorgeous...and those free acorns are stunning!!!
Fondly,
Pat

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hi Marlis!
I love the teak chargers, they go perfect with this fall tablescape. The pretty green dishes and lovely plaid napkins give it just the right touch. This table will look gorgeous come Tksgiving too. There is a party going on right now for Thanksgiving, maybe you should join at, Worthing Court, called Better Late Than Ever. Big hugs,
FABBY

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Nice colors! I'm loving plaid lately too. You asked about my WS tablecloth--nope I haven't washed it yet! I've only spot cleaned it a couple times. It's amazing! As for Christmas, I think I already have evry Christmas issue of every magazine already! Haha! Enjoy!

Alycia Nichols said...

Whoa! I can't remember ever seeing acorns that big!!! Those things must be on the 'roids!!! :-) They're gorgeous, though! We may have seen everything on the table before, but it's the way you have so expertly assembled it all that makes it all totally new again to our mind's eye! Again...the mark of a truly creative person! I had a pumpkin go to mold & mush on a table, but I luckily discovered it before it did any damage. Like you, I think I'll be elevating or otherwise protecting the furniture in the future! I really like the way the green from the napkin is elevated to a prominent status by using the green salad plate. Very pretty! I also really like the layered runners!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that you have a Sunday evening family dinner. The perfect way to keep a family close once they spread their wings. Your table is so warm and cozy for an event such as this. I must remember the "spoon in the serving dish" idea. I've left dishes in various places as well! :)

Mary said...

Beautiful Marlis! I'm a big fan of recycling or using something in new way at the table! I love the warm color of the plaid napkins trying together the green & brown. I have to go one step further and leave myself a note in the dish of what goes in it :)

Anonymous said...

Your table is beautiful Marlis. I love the shot of the stacked dishes, shot straight down.

ellen b. said...

Love your table! I'm recycling this week, too. Happy Fall and thanksgiving season to you...

Scribbler said...

I saw this early today, couldn't comment till now. This is a fabulous table, and love the way you have pulled the colors together. Your "gratitude Journal" is a reminder that I should get back to this.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Those are REAL acorns???? I have nevr seen them that big and FLUFFY:):) Love the plaid napkins, they really do tie it all together. I also put a note in the dish for what goes in it:):) The first time my daughter saw me do that she thought it was a riot:):) XO, Pinky

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Marlis, what a pretty table to give thanks. You have so many lovely things. Wow, those acorns are wonderful. I'll bet they're from a burr oak tree!!

Jacqueline said...

Marlis, what a pretty table. I am inspired by the empty serving bowls. I have been known to do the same. The worst is when I leave it in the oven! Your acorns are gorgeous. I love that they are found.

Jewel Sauls said...

I can't believe you found those acorns in the World Market PARKING LOT! They are incredible! Love your whole table. Nice to see cabbage plates in the fall and the plaid napkins do mix the green right in! Been there on the mushy pumpkin! Thanks for sharing!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Nicely done Marlis! I like the two colors in the napkins and how you use the green dishes on the wood chargers. I'm so in love with woodland earthy things and wish I could have a cabin for my ideas. This table would work perfectly for it! Yes those pumpkins can go on you overnight and make a nasty mess! All of mine are out back letting mother nature reclaim them! Those are some really huge acorns!! I like how you decorated on top of the pumpkin!

Tricia said...

Lovely, inviting table, Marlis! Those napkins are just perfect for tying together all the pretty greens and browns. Great idea, to set the serving bowls or spoons on the table as a reminder! I've left many a salad languishing in the fridge. . . .

Marigene said...

What a lovely table for fall...the plaid napkin gives just the right touch of color to the table.

Susan Freeman said...

Lovely tablescape Marlis! All of the colors so beautifully and softy reflect those in nature. I especially like those plaid napkins.

Big Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

xinex said...

Your table is so warm, so inviting. These are probably my most favorite color combination. Very pretty, Marlis!....Christine

Babs said...

I'm thankful for your great ideas for the table. :) LOVE the princess pumpkin and your cabbage dishes with the madras napkins. And those are some BIG acorns!

Entertaining Women said...

I can just picture you scooping up those giant acorns in the parking lot. ;-). I'm with you, I used things over and over again, if I like them. Those are great napkins. Hope that your coming week is a good one. Changing careers can be a real challenge for any one. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin