...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crazy Slaw and Chalkboards

I had many comments about the chalkboard and about the Crazy Slaw. 
Today you get both!

I had this old frame that somehow survived our house fire over a decade ago.
Couldn't let go of it actually.
You know, someday...
And being active in blogland I've seen so many cute chalkboards and thought that I, too needed one. 
Friend cut the luan and I sprayed it with the chalkboard paint.
Popped it into the frame.
Secured it with tiny nails.
Attached picture hangers to the backside.
Hung it on the hook.

Do only use the soft chalk.
Do rub chalk all over the chalkboard as specified by the paint and rub it off.
It's hanging on a command strip.
The frame was a silver finish originally.
The heat from the fire melted off the finish making it look perfectly shabby!

And the other comments hinged on Crazy Slaw.
I've been married 37 years and have had this slaw every New Year's day since day 2 of our marriage!
(we married December 30, 1974)

My mother in law made this, and now I make it every year.

Crazy Slaw:

1 head cabbage, thinly sliced
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 grated carrots
1/2 cup sugar

Mix and set aside.

1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed

Heat vinegar and add sugar to dissolve. Mix in remaining ingredients thoroughly and pour over cabbage mix. Refrigerate overnight.

Enjoy!! I'll be linking up to Design's by Gollum, Foodie Friday - cya there...

9 comments:

Babs said...

Marlis, the cray slaw sounds like a recipe I had back in the '70s call winter salad and it's delicious. Gosh, I hadn't thought about that in years. I'm copying your recipe. Yum.
Great Bible verse, too. I've asked that question a lot. LOL
Babs

Barbara F. said...

I love that chalkboard. (I am sorry to hear about the fire.) The slaw recipe sounds delicious, I am saving it. xo

Debbie said...

The slaw recipe looks like one my family would love. They all love carrots. I don't... but I fix them for the rest of the family anyway.

And the chalkboard came out great. I remember getting a new chalk board in my fourth grade classroom. We had to cover it all in chalk and then erase it before we could use it.

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

oops. double post.

Meredith said...

Looks delicious and would go great with the tacos I made this week!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh I just love this, I'm so into salads, as I'm trying to lose some weight this year. I'd love to invite you to come over and comment on my first giveaway for a one year of blogging, that's all, no following me anywhere! Thanks. Lots of hugs,
FABBY

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love the chalkboard and the slaw sounds yummy! I hope that your 2012 is off to a great start! Happy Saturday!...hugs...Debbie

Mary said...

I'm so glad you posted your Crazy Slaw recipe! I'm crazy for your chalkboard too :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin