...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sammeltassen, the buffet and the closet

I am sure you wondering how all this fits together. Just have a sit and I'll take you through it all.
Since I was "under the weather" this past weekend and Monday, and I still wanted to play along 
on Tablescape Thursday, there had to be dishes involved!

 But Saturday early on things were still good. The delivery person called to let me know to expect
him and our new to us buffet right after lunch. He forgot about the time change. He was trucking in from 
Santa Fe!

So I thought I'd rearrange the "Sammeltassen" or collector's trio.
They used to live in their own little world. Quite peacefully might I add,
all lined up like little soldiers in a row. 
But that was boring. And since I'm decluttering, I needed to make it look less spread out!
I've previously used them in tablescapes HERE, or HERE.

I certainly wish I had thought to take a before picture. But I also was planning a pretty cool table,
cool cause it's been a wee bit chilly.
Well except for Monday, when the mercury hit around a balmy 70 degrees. 
And we had a lovely dust storm. Ugh.

I brought the cute chocolate pot with it's sweet bud on the lid out from the bedroom shelves
so that it could come play with the dishes. 
I also pulled out some of my vintage cookbooks, German and others, my mother's, my mother-in-law's.
And my grandmother's candy dish.

A sweet bell from dear Jill. It's from Ohio, Zaneville I believe.

I wish I could remember if this was a gift to my mother or a gift to my grandmother. 
Sammeltassen (Dessert Trios) are a basic in Germany. Usually given as gifts for birthdays, Confirmation, and any other gifting event, people collect many of these and most likely no two every match.

This trio was my grandmother's favorite. She would always put it at her place. 
Underneath is the handkerchief my mother carried when she wed my father in Bern, Switzerland.

I love these dainty cups. I really should use them more often. Shame on me.

This started my obsession passion with dishes. Blame it on my Oma!
Either that, or it's in the genes.
A cute silver epergne rests in the corner. These little cups are Mokkatassen. or cups for Mocha or espresso.

This was my mother's favorite cup! I didn't know that until she took the time to share a lifetime of tidbits with me before she died. I still miss her. 

My grandmother's handkerchief, a spoon from Corey Amaro (Toungue in Cheek), and a darling original 
photo of my husband's Auntie - Fern. 

More vintage cookbooks, my husband's grandfather's knife.

 This is a piece of Hutschenreuter. Love, love transferware.



So that was early Saturday. And then decided to clean out the closet in our guest room. 
It had become the sanctuary for things that never again would see the light of day. 
Let's just be glad there are no photos. 
I found that i will never need to buy another piece of scrapbook paper or fabric. 
Ever. Never. As long as I live. 
I also unearthed some other fun things.Do you ever forget you have things?

The cleaning purging was put on hold. The guys arrived with the buffet. 
They say it's a Victorian piece. So early 19's?  I don't think so. 
It's solid wood, weighs a ton, and makes me happy.
And I found it in Santa Fe!

Remember, I'm decluttering. Simple pieces, and fewer pieces. That is the goal.



And then I found my husband's grandmother's bobbin lace runner.
In the closet. Luckily it hadn't reached the point of no return. 
My husband, the new interior decorator said I should put it on the buffet. 

I like the buffet sans the runner. simple, less dressy. It is a beautiful piece of bobbin lace, but...
Your thoughts?

Sorry about not having a table this week, but I hope you enjoyed the sweet sojourn into the Sammeltassen. 
Hope to see you again. Your visits make my day!


32 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dishes are so beautiful, I would die to have some of those pieces! And the Buffet is spectacular... XO Cindy

Tricia said...

Oh, I loved learning about sammeltassen -- a totally new word and concept for me. The sets are so pretty, and it would be fun to see a table set for dessert with all the different patterns! Your new buffet is stunning! I like the way you've styled the top of it, too.

xinex said...

I love your buffet, Marlis. Beautiful wood and I love all the carvings. Your dishes are exquisite and I like the lace runner on the buffet....Christine

Alycia Nichols said...

Congratulations on the "arrival of your new baby" buffet!!!!!! It is absolutely gorgeous! I love the detailed carving on it! The purging process of your guest bedroom is one to which I can fully relate! Even with all the purging, there is always a sizeable stash left over! You have some really pretty pieces, Marlis...some that are really unique and timeless. I love the chocolate pot! And I really like the pattern of your Mom's favorite cup. It has a modern little twist to it! So sorry to hear you've been under the weather. I hope you're fully back in the pink soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my...that buffet is so beautiful. Sorry, but I LOVE the runner on the buffet! He`s a great interior decorator! LOL!! I totally know what you mean about forgetting you have things. Ugh!!

Barbara F. said...

Your buffet is just gorgeous. I like it with the lace runner. Enjoy! xo

French Basketeer.com said...

Love your collections, Marlis, but mostly hearing the stories of your family history with them! Beautiful buffet too!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Congratulations on your new "baby"! Gorgeous! I'm with you on the clean look without the runner, but I change things up all the time. Enjoy the lacy look for awhile!

On Crooked Creek said...

Marlis,
Gorgeous Sante Fe find! I'm sure it will bring you years of enjoyment!
Fondly,
Pat

Debbie said...

You have so many gorgeous pieces, Marlis! I kept changing my mind as to which was my favorite. I do think that when all was purged and shown, I will name that set that was your grandmother's favorite as mine too. It's the one that you pictured with your mom's wedding handkerchief.

Still, I enjoyed it all.
And you are so RIGHT about how great it is to dig around to see what we actually have.

Meredith said...

I like the buffet both ways...it is a beautiful piece. Your silver tray is gorgeous. I love purging. Just took a couple boxes to good will and will likely do it again in a month!

Entertaining Women said...

The new buffet is a treasure! I love it! Thought: Smush the bobbin lace runner up and place it on the silver tray under the horns...kind of a point - counterpoint design. Or set a table and use it in your centerpiece...then it can quietly be put away again for a bit. Love the Sammeltassen collection...so many memories. I've been missing my mama, too. Cherry Kay

Tess said...

Thank you for sharing your treasures! I love all of you cups and your chocolate pot is adorable! Beautiful buffet too!

Elaine said...

Hi Marlis!

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. Of course, I miss your tablescapes, but what a great peek at your beautiful family treasures! Your new buffet is spectacular! Santa Fe is such a wonderful place to shop for unique pieces. Thanks so much for sharing!

Elaine
Creating Wonderful Spaces

Martha said...

Love all your dishes but I especially the love the buffet and that piece of lace is TDF!

Kathleen said...

The buffet is wonderful! Enjoy it!
You have so many wonderful pieces, just beautiful. The runner is lovely, a treasure! So use it in winter, and change to bare in summer, compromise, my dear! :)

Red Couch Recipes said...

What a beautiful new buffet. I have never heard of the word Sammeltassen -- just amazing the things you learn in the blogosphere. You do have an amazing collection of fineware. Joni

Anonymous said...

Oh Marlis, reading this and seeing how much came from a family member made me teary. When I moved my mother this last time I was under so much pressure and because I couldn't think of what to do with her belongings I had Salvation Army come get everything. Some of it didn't matter, but some did and I have kicked myself again and again. I have to comfort myself by thinking that her things may have helped someone in real need.

vignette design said...

Hi Marlis,
I love your new buffet. And the fact that you found it in Santa Fe! It looks so wonderful the way you staged it simply with the stag horns. Like it without the runner--just saying..
A beautiful piece to treasure. May you enjoy it in good health! ~Delores

Marlis said...

Lulu, so sorry about your mom's things. That is always hard to deal with. I can only imagine the emotions you were dealing with. xo marlis

A Cottage in the Clouds said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful treasures, and congratulations on scoring that lovely buffet! Hope you are feeling better.

sweet violets said...

Love the new buffet.....the runner is the perfect compliment to it. It has nice details like the wood carvings and the aged color is perfect, it adds some soft texture. I never heard that word before, and like learning new things, I also have some trios that don't match each other. hugs...cleo

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hallo Marlies,
wie schön deine Sammeltassen sind. Und vor allem der neue Schrank. Ein Schmuckstück! Du hast ein gutes Auge für schöne Sachen. Der Spitzenläufer ist auch eine Kostbarkeit. Ich wünsche dir viel Spaß mit den schönen Sachen. So macht das Aufräumen Spaß, wenn so viele schöne Erinnerungen dabei wach werden.
Schöne Grüße, Johanna

Mary said...

Marlis~ Love seeing your collection of teacups and dishes! Your buffet is SO handsome and more dish storage is always a plus!! I have some closets & drawers that definitely require some purging and organization...I only hope I discover some buried & hidden treasure! Hope you're feeling better :)

CJ Foss said...

Marlis, Love the new buffet, and love that it makes you happy. I feel that way about my sideboard, a new to me piece this year. Your collection of teacups, with special memory for each one, will be very happy in their new home. Thanks for sharing! ~CJ

Tea in Texas said...

Marlis, Glad you could tell about your family and their favorite china. The new buffet will be great for china. Your husband is like mine and gives great ideas for changes. It is wonderful to view your collection in a different setting. This encourages us to make changes and yes, I always discover what I didn't remember I had. Happy Tablescaping! Pam

Marigene said...

Gorgeous buffet...and dishes. The tea cups are beautifully shaped.

swedecollection said...

Marlis, I can see why the Art Deco cup was your Mother's favorite - unusual and stunning. Also noticed the cabinet with the ball feet is Art Deco as well. It is wonderful that you cherish family items. Your new buffet works so well with the cabinet in style and proportion -- your eye knew they belonged together.

Marlis said...

Thanks for dropping in.. feeling much better. Thank you! xo marlis

Marlis said...

Vielen Dank! Die Sammeltassen meiner Oma sind mir am liebsten. Irgendwie trinke ich aus einer ihrer Tassen und mir ist als ob sie bei mir ist. Komisch, nicht war? Viele Gruesse auch and deine suesse Katze.

Marlis said...

Thanks.. The art deco piece is going to my son's. Not the contents tho! But not until I find a replacement, and I'm slow picking out new things. Loved your white table this week! the coral is stunning. xo marlis

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love all your Beautiful Hidden Treasures. Your Victorian Buffet is gorgeous. My living room is all Victorian from the 1930's if you go to my Past Christmas post you can see some of it. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape and my Kitchen. I hope you have a wonderful weekend coming up with your family.
XXOO Diane

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin