...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Sunday, August 1, 2010

I am happy because...

 I am happy because I found a silver tray at an estate sale for $2.00...



I'm happy because there is always a stack of interesting books lying around. Let alone the 3 new ones I purchased at another estate sale on Saturday....Cooking with Cafe Pasqual's: Recipes from Santa Fe's Renowned Corner Cafe; Christmas in Santa Fe and The Small Adobe House.


And I am happy because I have some lavender to remind me of Santa Fe...


I'm happy because I can look at this little angel candle snuffer and remind myself of friends far away...


I'm happy that there are reminders of friends made blogging..


I'm happy that Regan has made himself quite at home around here...



I'm happy that I have cherished memories...


I'm happy that I have a needle threader on the sewing machine...


I'm happy that placemats that were $30 a piece in Santa Fe could be made here at home for less. Six and a runner for less than the price of one. And because Hobby Lobby has the exact same "woven just for us in Italy" fabric, they even look the same!




These are extremely easy to make. Monofilament (clear thread) in the needles and a matching to fabric thread in bobbin. Narrow zig-zag stitch (about SW 2.5 and SL 1.5). Carefully and accurately cut woven fabric along a thread 14" in height and 20" in width.

 Sew the 14" sides about 1/4" away from the edge. This edge will fray nicely when done.

Sew the 20" edges very close to the edge, just enough so that you will see the warp threads just a bit. In this picture you can see the warp threads are the black ones. That is why I chose to only have a little short black stubble showing top and bottom.

And here is the finished placemat. $30.00 for you! No lining just some zigzagging around the edges. I had all 6 placemats and runner completed in less than an hour!

What makes you happy?

2 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Marlis! You have some great reasons to be happy! Love that cute little kitty! And I'm so glad to get a peek at your spooner...with family connections! How wonderful! Love those pretty place mats! Wishing you a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Martha said...

What great finds -- oh, how happy you must be -- and the table linens -- how great is that -- and the fact that they are the same and so little $$$ -- just some of your labor. I like things like that!!!

Agapanthus -- inside mine was in a south window -- and they absolutely loved it -- so much so that they even bloomed in February!

I love agapanthus -- love their leaves and their flowers are so pretty.

Try it -- it might work for you or perhaps I had just the perfect micro climate -- that does happen sometimes.

Thanks for visiting Linderhof --

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin