...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Monday, August 3, 2020

Orchids on Gray



A while back I was asked to do some table settings using my favorite french jacquard tablecloths.  I purchased this gray one because I thought it'd go with my Lenox Snow Lily. But alas, no. Snow Lily is more taupish gray and this is a true gray. Sophie of Bleu d'Olive is my tablecloth purveyor (someone mentioned that is is my tablecloth crack dealer :-) ). She is French, lives in Arizona, and is in the process of getting a website up and going. When it's live, I'll share her info! You can also find her table linens at Detours inside La Fonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe, NM. I believe she has a spot in Scottsdale, Arizona as well. Sophie's website is up! https://bleudolive.com

I pulled out my Rosenthal dinner plates and topped them with a Rosenthal orchid bowl. The orchid pattern is a new one in my collection (huge eye roll). My father in law had the largest orchid greenhouse west of Dallas. He even sent cattleyas to Hawaii. He and Raymond Burr could talk orchids forever! I had purchased the Community White Orchid cutlery pattern a long time ago and was looking for dishes when these Rosenthal pieces came into view.


This tablecloth is called ABCDaire or Alphabet. Between the motifs on the drop, alphabet letters are dispersed around the table. I had the pink napkins that were purchased on Amazon.


I chose to use the Mikasa Iced Teas and Libby Rock Sharpe 2009-4 waters for wine glasses. Many of the older pattern wine glasses are quite small so I'll use waters for the wine instead.


Coalport floral placecard holders let everyone know their place. I've also seen these in multi-colors. Thee are incredibly delicate. It always surprises me to find such treasures still intact.

Remember that the goal was to highlight the tablecloth, so I left the center a bit more bare than I usually do. This way the center motif shows well. This table was set during the beginning of Covid times and I had thought I'd try to venture out and pick up some flowers. My youngest child noticed what I was doing and came back with the perfect pink roses. Not bad for a boy! I added vinca tendrils for a bit of dimension. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do or any port in a storm.

Unimposing vintage pressed glass candle holders. When I set this table for guests, I'll bring in some more crystal candle holders or votives and another small bouquet of roses on each end.

One of my next missions is to find some gold napkin rings that are not too heavy for delicate plates. Any suggestions? These silver ones are rimmed in gold so they worked well on this table. The cutlery is Antique Baroque by Wallace. Would you use chargers the next time?


I'm always smitten by the detail of borders. And cutlery. And linens. Let's just face it, I'm smitten with all things table.

Thank you for stopping by. It's been a pleasure to share this table with you and I hope it brought you joy in this time of Covid. How are you handling it?

4 comments:

Maria C said...

Love the color combination, and the tablecloth, of course! How clever that it's called the Alphabet! I saw those napkins recently and was seriously tempted to get them. They are beautiful. Your Rosenthal dishes are gorgeous, and I really liked the Coalport placecard holders. How fun that your son helped you pick out some flowers! That was so cool! We are handling Covid very quietly at home. Thankfully, both my husband and I have been able to continue working from home, and we are both healthy. I have read a ton, and I'm redecorating my bedroom. We did have to cancel a couple of trips, but for the most part, Covid has given us some breathing room to just be.

Food Blog said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post keep your awesome work
I have many hobbies. I love to travel and read. But my favorite hobby is cooking. Let me tell you why! First, I'll tell you a little bit about why I started cooking. Secondly, I'll give you some information about what I like to cook. Third, I will say how I use the Blog ẩm thực for cooking.

When I started cooking, I was 10 years old. My mom wants me to be a chef. She has always believed that girls have to make different types of food, because one day they will get married. In my country, it is normal for girls not to cook. I feel lucky because I can cook many dishes. Now that I cook some of the dishes my children and husband love, I become happy and proud of my mother and myself. Foody

Entertaining Women said...

Hi, Maria! I’ve missed you while I’ve been invisible in blogworld. We’re in the midst of a year + long renovation, and it pretty much consumes most of my time. I’m glad to hear that you’re well. We’re doing well, too. Stay safe! CherryKay

Entertaining Women said...

How about one of these choices:
https://www.scullyandscully.com/tabletop/china/mottahedeh/mottahedeh-lace-charger-presentation-plates.axd


https://www.vietri.com/products/baroque-glass-service-plate-charger

https://www.scullyandscully.com/tabletop/china/herend-china/more-herend/herend-silk-ribbon-charger-presentation-plates.axd

I was thinking a pink charger instead of or In addition to a a gold Charger. Of course the gold Lace by Mottahedeh is superb and hard to ignore! The table is gorgeous. I’m on my way to her new website now. Thanks! CherryKay



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin