...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Tinsel Tree - December 1

Source: Martha Stewart website

Tinsel Tree

In both Ukrainian and German lore, the tale of the Chrismas spider explains the origin of tinsel. The story tells of a poor widow who couldn't buy fancy gifts for her children or decorations for their tree. One Chrismas Eve, she decorated a tree as best she could with fruits and nuts. After she went to sleep, spiders came out and crawled over the tree, leaving their webs behind. When Father Chrismas  visited the house, he saw the web-covered tree and decided to turn the webs to silver. In the morning when the family awoke, the tree was sparkling and beautiful.



It's December first.. This year I'll be bringing you little daily tidbits of Chrismas lore and stories. I hope you stay tuned! Thanks for dropping by..

8 comments:

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Beautiful tree...love the sparkle and shine!

Bonnie Bee said...

Marlis- This a wonderful post... I am sending it to my German sis-in-law.... She will love it, too!!! She starts her Christmas in September she loves the season so much!!! great history lesson or is folk lore??!!

Liz@A Dish Here, A Glass There said...

Oh what a sweet story! Love the tree.

Debbie said...

I had never heard that! That's such a neat story.

Carrie said...

Thanks for the info. on the Christmas spider and tinsel...I had not heard that legend before.
Also, the tinsel tree in the photo is really exquisite!
Happy Holidays,
Carrie - Oak Rise Cottage

Anonymous said...

I love this post Marlis! Thanks so much!

Lana Kim White Austin said...

Hello Dear! Would you believe that I've never heard that story of the tinsel...or if I have...I'm not remembering it! I LOVE that story!!! And I love your beautiful red and white tablescape, too!!!!!
I'm so glad that I'm starting to be able to catch back up with you!
Hugs/blessings,
Lana

Kuby said...

What an enchanting story! Thank you for sharing it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin