...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Are you a card keeper?

What do you do with your Christmas cards?
You could use them from which to cut next year's tags.
You could frame your favorites.
Or you could create a sweet "album" for the cards.
My dear friend Stacy designed both of these books.
The hold the cards for the year. 
And anything else that happened that holiday season.

The inside cover is a wonderful place to adhere the labels and addresses
from "new friends"

or friends.. (each album is different)

One ends with family labels (I didn't keep a lot of them that year)

I also bind in a card that we sent out that year, this is one I made.

It's great to add pockets for photos...

or pockets for newsy letters...



I like adding stamps to the dividers, too. On the left you can see how a photo was adhered to a strip of cardstock so that when it's bound the picture isn't disfigured.

I even save a section for our anniversary cards (it's at the end of the month).

So where do you put your cards? 
In a box?
In the trash?
Do you recycle and make something fun from them?



10 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Well talk about creative! How fun this is....thanks for sharing such a cute idea. And thanks for your visit this week too.

Kathy said...

Very Creative Marlis! Love this to keep cards - I keep those from my husband and those that are family pictures.
Hope you have a blessed day,
Kathy

Barbara F. said...

This is a wonderful idea. Unless the card is handmade or super-special, I don't usually keep them - they go in the recycle bag :( But I used to have a cork board with photos, but all the kids are grown so I rarely get a photo card anymore. xo

Alycia Nichols said...

What a great idea!!! I have memory box that I put card in. I like to go back through it occasionally. During the Christmas season I place the cards in a decorative container in the family room so that we can flip through them over and over. I will admit to tossing the cards received from my insurance agent, car dealership, and my husband's work! No sentimental value in them! :-)

Liz@A Dish Here, A Glass There said...

What a great idea! I've got each year saved for some time now but I didn't have a nice system like this.
What a treasure you've built! I have to think about this idea now!!
THX for sharing!
Liz

All The Pretty Dishes said...

What a nice way to save both the cards and the memories they hold. Sadly, I tend to stash things away in boxes. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comments. Have a Very Merry Christmas!

The French Hutch said...

I have a hard time parting with a card. I keep special ones from family and special friends. The others I use for gift tags. This way I feel they are enjoyed over and over. The is such a creative idea to keep cards and enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas Marlis.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Cindy said...

I love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing it. I have all our cards since we were married 17 years ago. I'd better get busy, hadn't I?

Babs said...

Marlis, What a cute idea and so creative. I only cut up the cards for gift tags...been doing that for years because I'm too cheap to buy tags. Besides, I can make them the size I want. Thanks for the cute idea to make a book from them.

Carrie said...

I have a collection of cards from family and friends going back years. The family ones are kept in a file binder and arranged by person or individual family. Since my kitchen holiday décor is tree-themed based on my Spode Christmas Tree dishes, I have also saved cards with Christmas tree motifs and displayed them on the refrigerator one year.
I also separate out all nativity-themed cards, some of which I have framed, most are kept in a binder with pocket pages, others I’ve displayed on a wall hanger, and as shown in this post:

http://oakrisecottage.blogspot.com/2007/12/using-your-christmas-cards-for-dcor.html

Merry Christmas,
Carrie – Oak Rise Cottage

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin