...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oats are what's good for you!

I have three favorite flavors of oatmeal. I eat one package each morning, 5 days a week. I never tire of it, it's great to fix at work and one added benefit... I dropped my cholesterol by 40 points in one year. Mine wasn't high, and this wasn't the reason I started eating oatmeal.. but what a great side benefit! Don't you agree? 40 pts!!!


At work I don't usually eat out of a bowl, with a silver spoon on a silver tray with my favorite Santa Fe mug. But when you are working from home... well I say do it right!

Being lactose intolerant (I know what a bummer).. I mix mine with hot water. Then, are you ready for this? I nuke it 20 seconds. I just happen to like it really hot. Have you ever noticed that different flavors require different amounts of water to come to the same consistency?  Oh this is the Apple/Cranberry/Almond flavor.

A nice mug of hot DECAF coffee completes the meal. I don't do caffeine, which means, I also don't do chocolate! I know, kinda boring...

But I do add my first serving of fruit for the day.. fresh blueberries. 5 days a week. 52 weeks a year. Every morning. Fresh blueberries. They are soo good warm. Oh they go in after the proper nuking!

Plop them in, mix them up and have a bite.. yummy good. And good for you. Give it a try.

Thanks for dropping in and spending some time here.. I appreciate your visit. If you leave a comment then I will know you've been here and I can visit back..
 

10 comments:

Lynn said...

Love the great colors in your shots Marlis! The oatmeal sounds good, and congrats on lowering your cholesterol:@)

Debbie said...

I enjoyed sharing breakfast with you this morning Marlis...I read your post while eating my yogurt.
Enjoy the rest of your day.

A Hint of Home said...

I love oatmeal and eat it often. That is amazing that it lowered your cholesterol 40 pts. Congrats!

Debbie said...

I love oatmeal during the fall and winter. For some reason, I rarely eat it in the spring and summer. Dumb, I know, but I don't.

Dianne said...

Oh Marlis, You are are pleasing this dietitian's heart with your post! I too love oatmeal, but I tend to eat it more on the weekends when I have time to do it right and sit down and enjoy it. Next to raspberries, blueberries are my favorite fruit. How healthy you are! Dianne

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love oats myself and their great on cold mornings, I like them with fruit and nuts too. Such a healthy post I'm ready to have them after looking at your pretty bowl with the yummy oats! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, FABBY

Kuby said...

Yum! Oats and delish and so good for you! 40 points!! That is fantastic. I do recommend you try some steel cut oats. Just pop them in the crockpot at night and they are ready in the morning. I promise you will love the flavor. You can even separate into portions and nuke it every morning.

Karena said...

Marlis, Your oatmeal looks wonderful with all of the flavors I love!!

I do eat it every day when the weather turns cool/cold! 40 pts. wow!

Oh I have a Designer Pillows Giveaway, I hope you will join!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Bill said...

Hi Marlis,

It's nice when a single post features wonderful eye candy, along with a great lesson in nutrition. What a great way to start your day -- that's my kind of "prescription!" ;)

Priscilla said...

I eat raw organic oats for breakfast with milk or yogurt, fruit, and (because I'm diabetic) Splenda. I buy them in bulk and mix in walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or what ever take my fancy. It is known as Müesli in Switzerland.
In the winter, I usually microwave it with water. I add butter, and some DaVinci syrup.
http://www.davincigourmet.com/products/sugar_free_flavored_syrups/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin