...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Bit Of New Year's Glitz and Glamour tablescape


It's certainly been a while since I posted a table! Today I thought I'd share the one at which we celebrated the New Year, ate our black-eyed peas, and were filled with gratitude for all of God's blessings.

It was a year of silver and white. Glitz and Glam. China and Crystal. Fine linen. 

There would be no children at this table. They had much more fun at a table of their own complete with toys, candy and no one telling them what to do.

 We had just celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary, so I really wanted to use our wedding china. I still love it as much as when I picked it out. 

The motif may not be as current right now, but it certainly satisfies the girly part of me with it's intricate pale gray scrolls and touches of white on the bone china.

The centerpiece. Greenery filled with silver orbs. Christmas balls attached to the flower brick that holds the fir branches.

 These balls never see the light of day unless I am doing a silver table. Silly I know.

I've got a really good tip to share. I wanted some fresh greenery for the table.
Called my friend the wholesale florist. Of course they had none. It was after Christmas.
His tip: Go buy a tree! Wasn't sure if anyone would still have on the 31st of December. 
I was wrong. Lowe's Home Improvement. $3.00 and that included the stand. And still so fresh!

I love how light bounces off the crystal. I really should use it more often.

Besides the candles in the centerpiece, I added a pair of silver candlesticks, one on each end.

After all the color of the Christmas season, it's refreshing to see a cleaner, more simplified palette.

The handkerchief linen tablecloth is very fine and light. With the openings, I chose not to use a table pad. 

I do love our New Year's dinner! The menu has remained consistent from my husband's grandmother, to my sweet mother in law and now I carry on the tradition. I do really look forward to it.

Thanks for coming by. Hope you enjoyed your visit.
I wish you joy and happiness in the year ahead.

Cast:
Linen tablecloth - estate sale
Silver chargers - various trays found at estate sales
Silver flatware - Signature by Old Company Plate
China - Lenox Snow Lily
Crystal water - Mikasa Parklane
Crystal Champagne - Waterford Colleen Encore
Silver Candlesticks - Gorham Chantilly
Napkins - Linen

I hope to be joining  Susan's Tablescape Thursday for her delightful and entertaining tablescaping party on  Thursday. See you there!

20 comments:

xinex said...

This is just stunning, Marlis, so crisp and fresh too. Love that centerpiece, the china and the linens. Oh, I love the crystals too....Christine

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Beautiful Marlis- very classic! It is nice to give the eyes a rest after the holidays and all the colors that go along with it!

Sarah said...

Marlis, I jumped for joy when I saw your new post pop up in my email. I've really missed your beautiful tablescapes. The New Year's table is so elegant! I totally agree about the calm of white and silver after all the color of Christmas. Just this morning as I watered the poinsettias on the sun porch, I thought about how I'd really like to remove the bright red. It it weren't freezing, I'd put them outside. LOL
Happy New Year to you and the ones you love. Hope to see more of your tables this year. ~ Sarah

Rettabug said...

Golly-Neds, this is GORGEOUS!! I adore your wedding china...Happy 39th, BTW. I think the motif is very much still in style. That neo-classical acanthus leaf design will always be just that...CLASSIC!

I can't tell you how happy I am that you are back to blogging. I always learn something new from you & enjoy all your postings very much!

Dianne said...

Hi Marlis.
This is soothing in it's simplicity, elegant and just beautiful. The chargers are wonderful and I love all the crystal. I love your wedding china. What pattern is it? So happy to see a beautiful table from you! Dianne

hidden art of homemaking said...

Marlis,
This table is beautiful. I can see why you still love that china. it is wonderful...and those napkins..you are the queen of embroidered napkins.gorgeous! well, that's about all the adjectives I have at the moment.LOL
Love your table..
Love, Mona

Unknown said...

Marlis,
Your table is outstanding! Beautiful! Elegant! I just love your china, silver, linens and goblets. I collect chargers like you. I have about six. I try to get them for a good price. Happy Belated Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the change in color from red & green to the elegance of the silver and white, it's really beautiful. I love your centerpiece, I wouldn't have thought to use the balls but it really doesn't look "Christmassy", just festive and elegant. Love it! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

What a gorgeous table....I love the silver trays you used for chargers. Your wedding china is beautiful and timeless...I would use it all the time!

XO,
Christine

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Happy New year Marlis. Your table is a masterpiece. Full of elegance and refinement. From the stunning white tablecloth to the timeless plates and chargers. A table fit for a grown up celebration.

All The Pretty Dishes said...

Gorgeous tablescape, I love you elegant china and crystal.

Maria C said...

Missed you, Marlis! And what a comeback! I adore your wedding china, and it's still fresh looking. It's not dated at all! I like the silver balls on your centerpiece. Must remember for next year!

Jacqueline said...

I think the plates are timeless - isn't that wonderful that the color is classic and the scrolls are too. Your centerpiece is perfect! I would never have thought to buy a tree but it was the perfect touch to your elegant table. I hope 2014 is a wonderful year for you!

Rosie M. said...

Marlis, your table is exquisite. I LOVE your wedding china and you have honored it beautifully with your chargers, linens and crystal. What is the traditional menu you serve for New Years? I love hearing about a family's traditions! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

Diane said...

Marlis, what an absolutely elegant table! I still love the way you used silver platters as chargers and I adore your china. Also, those silver candlesticks are pretty fantastic! Happy New Year!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Marlis............Love your table, it is clean, fresh, elegant and perfect for Winter, New Years or an Anniversary table. Happy 39th Anniversary, and may you have many many more. Love those silver chargers, they are gorgeous, and your Wedding China looks wonderful with them.
Just such a pretty subtle and restful table, a nice change like you say after all the colors of Christmas...................
Happy New Year Hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Alycia Nichols said...

First, congratulations on 39 years of marriage!!! That's just wonderful! I tip my hat to you both!

What a GREAT idea about buying a tree post-Christmas for inexpensive centerpiece greenery!!! I am going to remember that one! Wow! Now I can stop stealing it from my neighbors' yards! ;-)

I don't think your china pattern is at all outdated. It is a classic choice. Classic endures. For anyone who enjoys and appreciates pattern, this is a classic beauty.

I'm glad you ate your black-eyed peas. I just did my great-Grandmother's thing of rolling a dry black-eyed pea in a fresh collard green leaf, wrapping it in plastic wrap and sticking it in your wallet. It's supposed to assure that you will have money all year long. I hate to admit it, but the year I didn't do it...we went belly up! Wierd, huh?

Have a great week, Marlis! I'm so glad to see another of your creative tables!

Pat said...

Marlis,
EXQUISITE!!!
Your Wedding china is elegant, dear friend!!!
I'm swooning over your tablescape!!!
This is a stunning "perfect" tablescape for New Year's and any time of the year!!!
Cheers!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Kathleen said...

First, a belated happy anniversary!
This is a beautiful table! I love your monogrammed napkins, gorgeous. I wish you and Miss Retta lived near so you could teach me! I have a machine that has never been used! No stores here that give lessons.
Hope all is well there!

Entertaining Women said...

You haven't posted a tablescape in a while, and I've been missing altogether. I'm thrilled to have a spot of time to catch up with some of my favorite blogs on this cold winter day. Your wedding china is elegant, and I would still love it, too. Timeless beauty never goes out of style. I love that your New Year's dinner is a generational tradition. Glorious! Thanks for inviting us for a peek. Cherry Kay

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin