...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Monday, July 20, 2009

Creatively the Second Time Around - a new use for a silver fork

Forks, especially silver ones, can be found at flea markets, antique stores, and garage sales. Most people have decided that cleaning silver is not for them. I hate to admit it, but I love to polish silver. I'm sick! Usually take a cool day in the fall and play some old movies, and sit and polish for a good part of the day. With some clever bending of the fork tines, you can turn a stray silver fork into an easel.
You'll need to warm up the fork, I used my stove, as I am not allowed to use a torch! Grab some pliers.
Bend the fork pretty similar to this. Two tines back and two to the front. Curve the tips up. The back of the fork becomes the part that is seen, so you will want those tines to be pretty much bent the same.
Look for forks that have some interesting detail on the back side. Did you know that in Europe, it's pretty common to see a table set with the fork tines pointed downward because the most ornate details are usually on the underside of antique silver?
I have a couple of these so I can quickly display a 4x6 snapshot in a jiffy. No need to continually buy new frames or even change pictures out of frames.

Be Creative!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin