I had a wonderful father's day! How about you?
I've been meaning to recover the bolster pillow on our bed since we put the drapes..and that has been since 2011!!!
|bedroom post 2011|
It's all a bit white here. Not bad.. but I wanted to bring a bit of the drapery fabric into the room, specifically on the bed.
I started with a rectangle of the check fabric. I sewed on the French silk ribbon. A tip not to forget when working with ribbon: use as hot an iron as your fabric allows and steam the ribbon. This will shrink the ribbon and save you tears later on when the ribbon shrinks in the laundry or dry cleaning. I also had this gorgeous, very antique lace.
I chose to leave it in it's vintage state. I thought about hand sewing it to the fabric along the straight pieces that you see on the left above. But decided against that. I went ahead and used my Bernina but instead of regular sewing thread, I used a 60 weight thread through the needle. It's all cotton and much lighter weight so it barely shows.
On each end, I tied a tassel tie from the old bolster cover. Sew very easy.
Here's a closeup of the ribbon. It's truly a work of art. This bolt came from Quilter's Resource in Chicago. Sorry to say, it is no more.
The sewing fairies were working with me today! You cannot see the seam in the back, well on the plaid fabric anyway. I always prefer to seam a piece so that the seam is almost invisible, so not in the middle of plaid strip.
One more tip, when inserting pillow forms into covers, cover the form with a plastic bag (or if you purchased a new form, leave the wrapper on but slit it open on one side). Once the form is in the pillow, you can remove the plastic bag. Thanks so much for dropping by today! Be blessed.