...family, friends, home and other tidbits of a blessed life

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Do you know how many stars?


Monday night is Bible Study Fellowship. 
March was my beloved Oma's birthday month. 
April was my mom's birthday month. 
Now, I'll connect the dots.


These are blooming all over Texas right now!

We sang a song Monday night through which I had tears rolling down my cheeks the entire time I was trying to at least mouth the words to this beautiful hymn. As we were singing I could hear both my mother and my grandmother singing this sweet "Wiegenlied" (lullaby) to me. Voices I have not heard in a very long time. It felt as if they were stroking my head and telling me that everything would be okay. 

Oh how I miss them both. 

www.valdosta.edu/~mkstrickland/research4.html

Today, I'm sharing with you the words in English and German and the youtube video in German.

Weißt Du wieviel Sternlein stehen
Willhelm Heye

Weißt Du wieviel Sternlein stehen
Weißt du, wieviel Sternlein stehen
An dem blauen Himmelszelt?
Weißt du wieviel Wolken gehen
Weithin über alle Welt?
Gott der Herr hat sie gezählet,
Daß ihm auch nicht eines fehlet
An der ganzen großen Zahl,
An der ganzen großen Zahl.
Weißt du wieviel Mücklein spielen
In der hellen Sonnenglut?
Wieviel Fischlein auch sich kühlen
In der hellen Wasserflut?
Gott, der Herr, rief sie mit Namen
Daß sie all' ins Leben kamen
Daß sie nun so fröhlich sind,
Daß sie nun so fröhlich sind.
Weißt du, wieviel Kinder frühe
Stehn aus ihrem Bettlein auf,
Daß sie ohne Sorg und Mühe
Fröhlich sind im Tageslauf?
Gott im Himmel hat an allen
Seine Lust, sein Wohlgefallen,
Kennt auch dich und hat dich lieb,
Kennt auch dich und hat dich lieb.

Do you know how many stars
There are shining in the sky?
Do you know how many clouds
Every day go floating by?
God, the Lord, their number knoweth,
For each one His care He showeth,
Of the bright and boundless host,
Of the bright and boundless host.
Do you know how many birdies
In the sunshine sing each day?
Do you know how many fishes
In the sparkling water play?
God, the Lord, who dwells in Heaven,
Name and life to each has given,
In His love they live and move,
In His love they live and move.
Do you know how many children
Go to little beds at night,
And without a care or sorrow
Wake again with morning light?
God in Heav’n each name can tell,
Know us, too, and loves us well,
He’s our best and dearest Friend,
He’s our best and dearest Friend.





Linking up with the Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday.. be sure to drop in!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Marlis, what a beautiful hymn. I have never heard it before. When memories are all we have, they become so very precious.

Tanya
www.lisatakesix.blogspot.com

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady,
I also have a home in Texas. The Bluebonnets are blooming on the sides of the highways and back roads all over Texas. It is just beautiful!

I am your latest follower on you Blog! I hope you come over and visit my tablescapes and join my Blog.

Thank you so much,
Diane

Kathleen said...

I remember a story in the reader when I taught about the blue bonnets. I would love to see them, so pretty!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful post and song! I know what you mean, I too miss my grandmother Stella very much, she was a very positive and happy and fun to be with person, we would always laugh about somehting, I used to love teasing her! She was my mom's mother, but I still have her daughter, although not much as my grandma, but she's fun to be with too. Hope my grandgirls think of me as you and I do.
Have a nice evening.
FABBY

Anonymous said...

I can see why you love the hymn. The words are lovely. We went to the Hill Country this weekend to check out the bluebonnets. They were there but less than usual.

The Tablescaper said...

Thank you for bringing your bluebonnets and hymn to Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Marlis, I adore this. I have never heard this hymn before.

I got teary reading this because I can sometimes here my mother and grandmother singing, "My Bonny Lies Over The Ocean" as they rocked me to sleep. I was rocked for years. I loved that part of the day so much.

And every time I hear the Christmas hymn, "O Come All Ye Faithful" I can't sing the part that says "Sing all ye citizens of Heaven above." But I rejoice that the day is coming that we will be reunited thanks to the blood of Jesus shed over us. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for His sacrifice. I know you feel the same. But I am just awed at times, stopped in my tracks by the love of Christ.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Jacqueline said...

What a beautiful song (and he's not hard on the eyes either.) I have never heard that. I love the words. Songs bring back so many memories. I wouldn't doubt that they were there singing with you. Sometimes our loved ones are so close. What hope the Savior gives.

Jeannie said...

Oooh, Marlis - such a beautiful table! I love the wisteria and wish I'd thought of doing that when I had a house that had wisteria! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Sketch Floral -- but then, isn't every Mikasa pattern lovely!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin